Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2005, 03:16 AM

Default Best ways to identify leaks in poker tracker

Hi, I am not sure this is the right forum, so please redirect me to the right place or to previous discussions if needed.

I play 0.50/1.00$ on Empire and after about 20k hands, I've finally reached the bankroll to move up to 1$/2$, but before I do, I just want to be sure my game is top notch. Any advices on what to look at to plug hard to find leaks. I know the obvious stats in PT and they are fine:

V$IP: 21.92
V$SB: 40.38
PFR: 6.14
AGG: 1.61
BB/100: 2.89

But those stats include my first month of play (about 2k hands) where I had no idea what I was doing and a very bad downswing of about 200BB over 7 days last november.

Here are my stats for the last 8k hands (after the downswing)

V$IP: 18.32
V$SB: 34.90
PFR: 7.99
AGG: 2.35
BB/100: 4.87

So, I think my stats are fine, but I just want to be sure I have no leaks that are going unoticed at the current level but might kill me at the higher level.

Any tips on what to look for in the hand histories? Using the hand filters maybe?

Thanks for any advice you might have
Old 02-07-2005, 03:22 AM

Default Re: Best ways to identify leaks in poker tracker

the second set looks pretty good, when im playing, if a hand doesn't feel like i played it correctly i just write what my hole cards were(i rarely play bigger than 500hand sessions) and go back after im done and look at the hand again, this applies to both hands you won, and lost

often you just overlook the hands you won, but a lot of times there are things you could've done differently that woulda got you more bets

if any hand is confusing you post it, easiest way to get feedback
Old 02-07-2005, 03:23 AM

Stats look fine. My advice is that you won't find your leaks at 1/2 by looking at .5/1 stats. It's a pretty different game, fairly tight (weak tight), but still very beatable. Only way to learn is by experience and posting hands. There will be a bit of an adjustment time. You'll learn not to limp so much with marginal hands, and raise more with the stronger ones preflop. Reads and table selection are also a little more important. If you have the roll, go for it, you seem ready. Keep us posted on your progress.
Old 02-07-2005, 03:36 AM

thanks for the quick feedback, I appreciate it.

last question, should I try full table or 6-handed? Maybe a mix of both? I was 4-tabling on 0.50/1.00, but I think I'll start slower at the new level, I was planning to do only 2, should I do one of each?

thanks
Old 02-07-2005, 04:32 AM

1/2 6 max are great games but they will make your head spin. Better be sure you have the bankroll and then some if you want to give these a shot. I would start with the full games though as the experience there is very helpful. I also hope you realize that PT stats tell us nothing about your ability to actually play so you will find leaks by posting questionable hands or by learning for yourself by seeing other's hands posted here what not to do.

-DeathDonkey
Old 02-07-2005, 01:34 PM

Definitely start with the full ring 1/2 games first. They are softer and you'll have less variance. 1/2 6 max should definitely be in your future plans. I plan to play them before moving up to 2/4 and 3/6.
Old 02-07-2005, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Definitely start with the full ring 1/2 games first. They are softer and you'll have less variance.

[/ QUOTE ]

The second part of your statement is true. The first part is not.
Old 02-07-2005, 01:32 PM

Also look at your positional stats, make sure you are tighter UTG, and play a little more as you get to the button.

And examine your blind play.

I also like looking at how profitable hands are. I discovered I was playing ATo way too much by doing that.
Old 02-07-2005, 03:09 PM

I like to look through my hands on the main page when you open up the Ring play stats and sort the hands on Net Win/Loss to see which hands were the biggest losers. Turned out for me they were hands like KJo, QTo, A9, etc. Also analyze your playing by position.
Old 02-07-2005, 03:25 PM

OK I don't play on pokerStars which seems to be the dominate playing location for these forums. So please consider this very generic piece of advice.

However keep in mind that what may not be currently a leak for you at the level you are playing can become a leak at a higher level. The general observed pattern is often that the higher the level the fewer people are seeing the flops each hand. While this does not hold true as an absolute it is not a bad rule of thumb.

Take a close look at your position play and make sure you had the odds really needed to when you enter the pot from each position. The reason for this is as you move up the chances are there may be fewer callers behind you to give you the odds you desire.