Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2005, 05:03 PM

Default What is Mike Sexton gave accurate commentary?

I was reading in card player about a hand Gus Hansen had where he called an all in with T8 suited. I am however sure that Mike Sexton was yelling at how great of a play this was. How did he know he had pocket 7's?

Instead what if he said what everyone else is thinking.

What an absolutely horrible call that was?

The commentary applauding and revearing bad play is comical.
Old 02-11-2005, 05:13 PM

Default Re: What is Mike Sexton gave accurate commentary?

[ QUOTE ]
I was reading in card player about a hand Gus Hansen had where he called an all in with T8 suited. I am however sure that Mike Sexton was yelling at how great of a play this was. How did he know he had pocket 7's?

The commentary applauding and revearing bad play is comical.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not as comical as your spelling. I don't actually remember any really bad advice/commentary he's made. Vince, on the other hand . . .
Old 02-11-2005, 05:23 PM

I don't think that call was so bad. He was getting like 4-3 pot odds. T8s is not a big dog except against a higher pp. He also wants people to know he will call, so they don't play back at his loose raises with junk.
Old 02-11-2005, 05:29 PM

Sorry I don't run a spell check on my posts. This probably is a bad example but there are times he indicates that a play is "a great move" or "a great call" and honestly makes little to no sense.

Thanks for the spelling insight.
Old 02-11-2005, 05:33 PM

1. there is lots of dead money in the pot
2. gus is up against a hyper aggro opponent who knows that gus is also hyper-aggro.. he is only in an awful spot against TT-AA, the dominating (but unlikey) 8=paints and T-paints, and, to a lesser extent 99 and 88.

Furthermore with any dead money in the pot.. if antonio flips AcKc faceup on the table, he may even call for the reasons below:
3. the fact that it's winner-take-all means having the biggest stack (by far) is HUGE in terms of tournament ev
4. eliminating or crippling antonio is also +ev
5. it's televised. people will think he's even more insane after seeing it
6. it's a freeroll with a value of barely $4000. gus was clearly enjoying the opportunity to totally dick around on tv.
7. it was suited!

Aggressive NLHE tourney players frequently "rely too much" on folding equity, forcing themselves to call reraises simply because an analysis of the hands they can be up against, combined with the size of the pot after their raise is called and reraised, forces them to call for the raise-inflated pot odds. if you saw Poker Superstars, you should know this is the way gus operates. the same can be said of a few players (notably raymer) in the WSOPTOC.

Yes, he's run well on tv, but a few of his opponents have been responding to his play in really dumb ways.
Old 02-11-2005, 05:35 PM

This was also a freeroll to an event Gus had already qualified for and was the "Bad Boy" of poker event.

He might have done this for many reasons. This has been discussed before, but you are right, the announcing is terrible.
Old 02-13-2005, 10:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think that call was so bad. He was getting like 4-3 pot odds. T8s is not a big dog except against a higher pp. He also wants people to know he will call, so they don't play back at his loose raises with junk.

[/ QUOTE ]

A perfect analysis...

For the record - Sexton is the best commentator in the business (unless you count Howard Lederer)
Old 02-14-2005, 07:13 PM

For the record - Sexton is the best commentator in the business (unless you count Howard Lederer)

I think Mike Sexton has the enthusiasm, voice quality, and knowledge (presumably, I am not a poker expert to judge) to be a great commentator, but his work on WPT does reflect his talents.

WPT is overly produced. They are more concerned with marketing the sport of poker and its stars than with than giving accurate or insightful commentary. Mike and Vince spend most of their time fawning over the players or the over-the-top plays. I'm guessing WPT producer Steve Lipscomb is the cause of the problem.
Old 02-14-2005, 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This was also a freeroll to an event Gus had already qualified

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the correct answer. And Gus made the right play calling anyways if Antonio flipped AKo faceup.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This might be the #1 misunderstood play from TV poker in 2004 (a close second was David William's "check in the dark" against Josh Arieh).

The call was terrific as he put his opponent on a small pair. He knew how his opponent played and made his decision accordingly. It was a terrific play and an unbelievably misunderstood showing of mathematical prowess in the situation, ESPECIALLY when you consider it was a tourney where only first place got a nickel.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com