Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2005, 01:27 PM

Default Shortstacked strategy - Can I beat awful players with 25xBB?

10-20 500 min/no max underground game against a bunch of Asian guys with infinite bankrolls. They are all LAP/LAG (I've seen 100 calls PF with 24o) and buy in for around 2k.

I can afford to buy in for 500 and lose it, but I wouldn't be real happy about it. The question is, should I bother sitting, or just wait until I have enough of a bankroll to buy in for 2k or so? If I can actually beat this:

Game texture:
<20% of pots unraised PF.
If raised 3-4 to a flop.
If unraised 6-7 to a flop.
PF raising standards are extremely loose (i.e. 44 open raise from EP last night)

I've been mucking small mid pairs in EP and MP and limping LP if there's enough action. Other than that, playing pretty typical tight aggressive poker. Oh, and if there's enough limpers I'll shove AJo/mid pairs out of the blinds and expect to get at least one caller with a worse hand (AJ vs UTG KT last week after I had 8 limpers to my BB)

Anything else I should be thinking about? Forget about stealing the blinds, any normal raise will get called by one of them.

My flop play needs a good deal of work, but there's really not a ton of flop decision making here with only 25xBB. Seems to me it should be possible to build a pre-flop system that has me smoking this without too much trouble.

Thanks

EDIT: If anyone has any relevant threads sitting in their favorites list I'd love to see them...
Old 02-11-2005, 02:00 PM

Default Re: Shortstacked strategy - Can I beat awful players with 25xBB?

sitting with $500 would be supremely profitable in such a game; you would almost never have a flop decision though, so you may decide to kill yourself out of boredom.

but it would be a really really bad idea to do so if losing a buyin hurts. you probably want a 10k-ish roll to do this sort of strategy, 5k at the very minimum. to take a shot, have like 2k that you really really don't mind dropping.
Old 02-11-2005, 02:08 PM

Say you has a few thousand you don't mind losing. What happens if you take your shot, sits down with $500, and hit some cards to to take you up to $3000+? What do you do?

This exact thing happened to me at Greektown. Suddenly I realized I was sitting with a little over $3,000 in front of me as two other guys at the table were checkraising $1,000 on rag flops. I decided it wasn't good to risk what was now 1/2 of my bankroll against some maniacs and got up and left. I felt like a huge pussy but I think it was the right decision.
Old 02-11-2005, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What happens if you take your shot, sits down with $500, and hit some cards to to take you up to $3000+? What do you do?

[/ QUOTE ]

I know most of them and they know I'm not bankrolled by my parents. If I left after a couple hours up 3k they wouldn't even notice, let alone care. They're playing to get bombed, stare at all the hot chicks that hang around, and lose their play money to each other.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:01 PM

uhh, is this game in nyc?
Old 02-11-2005, 03:12 PM

Detroit.

(Edit I ment greek town, not this game).

Btw, you should push or fold preflop, I might limp late late position with a pocket pair.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:20 PM

Haha, no... next time you're in Toronto holla and I'll hook you up for 20% of your profits [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-11-2005, 03:40 PM

Are you serious?

I live in London. Not england.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:46 PM

Yup. PM me for details.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Detroit.

(Edit I ment greek town, not this game).

Btw, you should push or fold preflop, I might limp late late position with a pocket pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree - limp LP with pocket pair and push when you hit a set.

Push or fold PF other than that.

If you can't afford to lose a couple buy-ins then dont play because the first two times you push with aces and they get cracked, you'll walk home crying [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img].

What is the "standard" raise at this game?