Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2005, 03:16 PM

Default 2/4 hand analysis

1st I think 2 pair, A9 (spades), or K9s (spade). Set he would raise on the turn probably.

Then he raises on the turn! I pick up a straight draw. What the hell is he raising twice with?. So I call. Think more now 2 pair or A9 or K9. The 2nd desperate player is all in so he can have anything. River comes he bets again I am ready to fold. Figure I have to be beat at this point but I am only 85% certain because of the range of hands I am beaten by don't add up to over 90%. The pot is giving 92%, I call.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB caps</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (12.25 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

River: (15.25 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 17.25 BB
Old 02-14-2005, 03:19 PM

Default Re: 2/4 hand analysis

raise the turn
Old 02-14-2005, 03:23 PM

Where did the BB go?

Anyway, I'd raise the turn, call a 3 bet and fold the river unimproved (if you're 3bet). I just don't see your overpair being good here when UTG bets into the field after it was capped on the flop.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:30 PM

BB probably has a retarded 2-pair or a set. That said, I think I play it exactly the way you did. I may have even raised the turn with the OESD, cuz If he DOES have a retarded 2-pair (97, 94 or 74) you have a slew of outs to beat him.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:31 PM

I like the way you played the hand.

As some have recommended, I hate raising the turn. I don't see a point. You're likely to get 3-bet as UTG shows no signs of slowing down, and no one with a flush draw is folding for another bet. I think you're goal at this point is to see the river for as cheap as possible.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:34 PM

I wouldn't listen to me either. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I have a hard time figuring when it is ok to just check and call it. Overcompensation for perceived weak-tightness in my play.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:45 PM

I dont see the point of 3 betting.

They put you on AA or KK because of my flop aggressiveness.

I think raising leaves you with losing more than winning. You going to pay an extra bet becuase of what they think I have when they have me beat and then I fold the river unimproved. I pay an extra bet on a longshot. Anyother situation I break even. Except if I make my straight. If I raise and only get called by A9 or K9, make the straight then I still make an extra bet. If I call the turn and raise the river when I make my straight I make an extra bet and maybe more if they have a set.

So it seems raising here is actually wrong in my opinion. Too many hands beat you that will raise. So why not see the river cheap and if you hit you can then raise. Because if they really made 2 pair or a set they will bet.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:54 PM

Default RESULT!!!!

The all in had Qh 9c, a crap hand as I expected.

The flop and turn raiser had Ks 2s. He hit a 2 on the river. I was shocked.

I won shocked.

Been seeing a lot of this kind of weird behavior lately. I think these fish have ESPN fever. Now I am getting AT LEAST 1 limper per table and 1-2 bluffers. Even live I see limpers and crazy idiots more now.
Old 02-14-2005, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
raise the turn

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't see the point of raising the turn here.

Be happy you picked up a draw, but raising the turn, is probably going to cost you another bet on the turn.

Sarge[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]