Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2005, 01:34 PM

Default Gave up too early with top 2?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls, Hero calls, UTG+2 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (12 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+2 calls, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, SB calls, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, UTG+2 calls, Button calls, SB calls.

Turn: (14.50 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero folds, UTG+2 calls, Button folds.

The button in the hand was 24/7 and the small blind was new to the game at 27/0.
Old 02-12-2005, 01:48 PM

Default Re: Gave up too early with top 2?

Even if you're behind, you are about 10-1 to fill up getting 15-1.
Old 02-12-2005, 01:50 PM

getting 15.5 to 1 i'd probably call, it's tough with the button acting behind you but i think you can peel one off here and try to spike a king or a ten.
Old 02-12-2005, 02:07 PM

With the button raising preflop and 3 betting the flop, the pot odds are laying you 15.5-1 currently but aren't your effective odds worse. I mean it would be a pretty bad situation to call then the button raise, then the small blind 3 bet.
Old 02-12-2005, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
getting 15.5 to 1 i'd probably call, it's tough with the button acting behind you but i think you can peel one off here and try to spike a king or a ten.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then would you check-fold or check-call the river UI?
Old 02-12-2005, 02:38 PM

If you are stating 24/7 and 27/0 as VPIP and PFR then these stats mean very little post flop. Only really could tell what type of hands such as only pockets or Axs. Both are high enough that they play a lot of hands.

I'm not 100% sure I love your cap on the flop, if you feel you know someone is on a flush draw, your odds will go up a lot more on the turn if it doesn't hit and being you have no spade, you should be thinking of it.

I would have called the 3 bet on the flop, then check/raise the turn with no spade.

I'm gonna put the button on AK, AA, and rare but maybe KK.

But for the way you played, there is no way I lay it down on the turn for one here. I call, and if it's raised behind, then I fold if I'm not getting correct odds, too lazy to figure them out and others are better.

Remember, it's not a huge deal to call one and fold to a raise behind on any street.

I don't think it's a huge mistake that you folded the to the turn bet as it seems SB really wants to represent the flush and that the button will see the showdown, but I wouldn't have.
Old 02-12-2005, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Gave up too early with top 2?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes. At least you have odds to draw.
Old 02-12-2005, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Then would you check-fold or check-call the river UI?

[/ QUOTE ]
If the turn is unraised I would call. If button raises the turn and I'm closing the action by callng 1BB, I'll call. I I'm faced with 2 (somehow) I'll fold.
Old 02-12-2005, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not 100% sure I love your cap on the flop, if you feel you know someone is on a flush draw, your odds will go up a lot more on the turn if it doesn't hit and being you have no spade, you should be thinking of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if a flush draw is out there aren't you passing up a pretty high equity edge by not capping the flop with 4 callers?
Old 02-12-2005, 02:59 PM

I would check and call to SD with this one. Top two pair is going to win MUCH more than one out of 14 times, especially in Party 2/4. Plus, you have the odds to call: 11:1 you will spike a K or a T. For all you know, SB only has pair of 4s (I have seen this happen!). Don't let fear rule your game.