Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2005, 09:25 PM

Default Caesars IN 10/20 Trip Report

With my bankroll sufficiently cushioned by a string of wins at Caesar’s smaller stakes games, I figured it was time to test my manhood at the 10/20. I was hoping for a better result than my first attempt at that limit last summer where I dropped about $200. I've learned a whole lot since then (thank you 2+2), and have matured as a player considerably.

I arrived at the boat a little after 11 on Sunday. I immediately put my name down for 3/6, 5/10, and 10/20. I had some time to kill until they got enough players to open a new 10/20 game. I struck up a conversation w/a gentleman named Steve who flew in from Chicago to play at Caesars for the weekend. He played in the 20/40 on Friday and said it was a LAG fest, fairly unusual for a limit that high. We swapped some poker war stories, which mainly consisted of him recounting an incredible $13,000 January at the Pokerstarz 30/60 game. His stories may or may not have been true, but since I’m still a Party 1/2 grinder, I covered my bases by sitting to his left in case he really was a 30/60 online stud.

The game kicked off about 12:45. I was nervous sitting down, as when the game got together, it had many regulars of the 20/40 game. After a few orbits, it became clear that I was the most fundamentally sound player at the table. The game didn’t seem that much different from the Caesar’s 5/10 I’ve been playing for the last year. My first turn in the BB, I called a raise w/66 and hit a set on the flop that put me up $200 right away. I got 3 bets on the river since a newly retired Marine Corps Master Sergeant hit a set of 4s on the turn. I then kicked back and played patient TAG poker. My first KK got paid off, though I missed a chance to cap the queen high flop, as I wussed out and got worried about a set even though there was a strong chance my KK was good (villian had AQ). Few players in my experience at Caesars cap a flop w/TPTK, even though it’s SOP online. My second KK I raised w/2 callers. With an A on the flop and a guy betting into me, I cursed and threw them away. My 2 outer eventually hit on the river, much to my dismay. A set of queens put me up $400 overall, then I went card dead. I missed some draws and some big cards I raised PF completely whiffed the flop, and bled down to +$200. Part of it was my fault, as I messed around with some garbage like ATo and QTs. For the most part I continued to play good cards though. At this point, I unintentionally announce to the table what a tight player I was. There was one limper, and in MP3 I folded 2-2, not having the odds to chase the set. When I pinged my cards in, they caught some air and fell down face up. Everyone at the table seemed to have something to say about me folding a pair before the flop. A duck on the flop and a paired board only compounded the matter since everyone was happy to remind me that I folded a Full House. I laughed and took the ribbing. Then I caught some big cards...Pocket 4s in the small blind, 7 to the flop. I hit my set, and it gets capped 4 ways on an A high flop. Set holds up, drag a big one. Later, I pick up AA the same hand another guy gets 99. With a flop of A-9-4, carnage ensued, and I took down another big one. I’ve never achieved the illustrious check raise trifecta, but this has to be close (I’ll overlook the other players in the pot since we were the only two to go to showdown). 99 limps, I raise. Flop A-9-4. 99 bets, I raise. Turn 5. 99 bets, I raise. River a T. 99 bets, I raise. He bet into me on every street and I raised each one. Finally, after 4 limpers I called with Ac7c on the button. Flop: QcTc4c. EP bets, some callers, I call, and I wait until the turn to raise. I get paid off again. When it's all said and done, I left up $591 after 8 hours of play. As far as the Pokerstarz guy, he had to catch a plane about 4 hours after we sat down, and he left up about $300 or so.

Should I be surprised at the classic beginner’s mistakes that were prevalent during the game? The players are noticeably better than the any two card 8 man flop standards at the old 4/8, but you’d still see “that guy” cold calling a raise w/A2o. I’m glad that some fish are still willing to swim up stream to the higher limits.

I had a hell of a bluff put on me. There was one limper, and I limped from the CO w/77. The button called, SB folded, and BB checked. Flop came Q-J-4 rainbow. Checked to me, and I bet trying to win the pot. The button raised. Since there were no obvious draws save a 10-9, I was certain that I was beat. BB and the first limper folded, as did I. Button shows 5-3o. I nod and give the obligatory “Nice Hand.” I still think this is a fold every time, but it was still a hell of a ballsy play.

Saw some interesting things during the game. An older gentlemen had less than $150 left in front of him, then went on a tear like you read about, and not by necessarily playing mathematically correct poker. He was raising PF w/KTo after 5 limpers (awful) and spiking his ten. The guy could not lose. He left with around $1700 in chips. Another guy was all in for his last $3...winning the pot and running it up to $1100. The No Limit Cash Game at the table over was quite a sight. A lady in her 30s bought in for $300, and quadrupled up in one hand. Absolutely amazing seeing her drag such a monster pot. I don’t quite have the stones to sit down at that game yet.

Overall, the game was a real confidence boost. I know it’s just one session, but I’m now confident that I can play and win at 10/20 (not so much from my results but on how I played in relation to everyone else) I have a 4 day weekend coming up, so I’ll probably be back next Sunday. Steamboatin was once again valiantly dueling the 3/6 game. We gotta work on getting him to move up…rake sucks too bad at that level.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:08 PM

Default Re: Caesars IN 10/20 Trip Report

since when did cesars palace have a poker room????
Old 02-15-2005, 12:43 AM

Caesars In. has had one for quite some time. The Vegas location is building one to open in April.
Old 02-15-2005, 02:38 AM

thanks for the report.
Its always nice to hear whats happening at the local room.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:56 AM

Steamboatin be doin just fine thank you. I am working on my game and building my bankroll the hard way.

I have the cash to sit at $10-20 but I don't believe my game is ready. I have played $10-20 twice and although it is a very small sample, I haven't had a winning session. I'll take another shot at it when I think I am ready.

Probably go to Rising Sun this evening, Tuesday.
Old 02-15-2005, 01:13 PM

Are you the guy that always seems to be interviewed for the Onion's 'What do you think?' segment?
Old 02-15-2005, 08:01 PM

one in the same....LOL. I think you're the first one that's noticed the picture (or at least said anything about it)
Old 02-15-2005, 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Steamboatin be doin just fine thank you. I am working on my game and building my bankroll the hard way.

I have the cash to sit at $10-20 but I don't believe my game is ready. I have played $10-20 twice and although it is a very small sample, I haven't had a winning session. I'll take another shot at it when I think I am ready.

Probably go to Rising Sun this evening, Tuesday.

[/ QUOTE ]

I may have to sit down w/you at the 3/6 one of these days and see how you play. I have a feeling you're a bit too loose (yes even for 8 man flop Caesars land...it is possible).
Old 02-16-2005, 08:28 AM

I am usually way tighter than anyone at the table but that may not be a good measure. Poker tracker says I am SLAP and I have a frowny face icon next to my screen name. It was a smiley face until I imported Gaming Club Stats.