Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2005, 01:25 PM

Default When to say enough.

Played at a bricks-n-mortar yesterday and ended up in the plus column. Starting to feel more comfortable and seeing the outs better. My question is about how much stake to risk and when to say I've won enough.

I'm playing $3-6 limit and I usually take about $200 with me to the club. If I get up by $200 within say 6 hours should I be satisified that I've done well? It seems like a typical swing can be $200 up and $200 down in that amount of time. Does the trick to profitability have something to do with knowing how to quit when you're ahead? [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 02-08-2005, 04:41 PM

Default Re: When to say enough.

IMHO, whether or not you've had enough should have less to do with how much you've won (or lost), and more to do with how good the game is. For example, if you tend to do well at a passive table, and the table is still good and you are still playing well, by all means stay there.

If on the other hand the table has turned into a bunch of maniacs, and that's not a situation in which you typically thrive, then get up. Get up also if you're getting tired and losing your concentration.

When you know you don't have your A-game anymore, in other words, that's when you should quit.
Old 02-08-2005, 04:51 PM

peoplwe will probably disagree w/ me about this, but i am going to say that for me and from my experience you are thinking along the correct lines. the proffessional's advice says to "play as long as the game is good and you are playing well'. that information in my opinion is poor for the newer player b/c i have played over 400 hrs b&m & still think i am not the best judge of my play and certainly should not play over 6 hrs, no matter how i think i am playing or how the game is. i think keeping your play around three to 4hrs for optimal focus and to manage your losses and keep your gains is a good short term approach. you will get other advice, but i believe it makes more sense for the professional player
bud
Old 02-08-2005, 05:05 PM

Unless I am getting slaughtered (which has happened before), I will play as long as I am 100% attention-wise. Money at that point is no longer a consideration. If the game is soft, and I feel like I have been playing all day, I will get up. One wrong move when you SHOULD have seen something can cost a bunch.
Old 02-08-2005, 05:30 PM

Three different answers but all good. Thanks. So far I'm hearing it's not about the specific dollars. That makes sense to me even though I really need to limit my losses and must because of a small stake.

I know it's all one big long playing session, that any specific date is not a measure of doing well or bad in general but I was also wondering what makes you all happy. That is, if you're driving away from the club after doubling up are you happy? Or did you wish it could have been more for having played 12 hours straight? That sort of thing.

That being said, your posts are a good reminder that every session will be different and it's more about being personally responsible, playing well and choosing the right game than the results in dollars.
Old 02-08-2005, 05:53 PM

@ 3/6 $150 is a good solid win!
Old 02-08-2005, 05:58 PM

Many people are too quick to walk away from a game just so they can log a winning session.

Don't fall into that trap.

If you are playing well, and the game is soft, stay in it as long as you can keep your wits.

Another way to play is to just go by the hours.
You say, "I will quit at 10 PM no matter what."

That's generally how I play unless the game is really good.
Old 02-08-2005, 06:01 PM

btw the short term is of ultimate importance if you are short rolled. too many people play well then continue on feeling invincible and make mistakes, or get tired or the cards run poor. also what ever you do, do not spend your winnings. alot of people i know win then blow the $. it takes the out of the game. see david ross's post about losing 510 bb last month.
bud
Old 02-08-2005, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
also what ever you do, do not spend your winnings.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean in the game you are playing?

That is very bad advice.
Old 02-08-2005, 06:11 PM

i guess i was not specific enough. @ the bar, strip club etc. I see new players who are passionate about poker but undsiciplined w their bankroll.
bud