Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2005, 06:28 PM

Default Brilliant or idiotic play by villan?

PS $350k

Villan had been playing about 80% of his hands, calling and raising with them. I put him on any two cards. My immediate reaction was it was horribly played, but then after I thought about it, maybe I would have done something similar. Although sizes of bets were still questionable.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (9 handed) converter

UTG+1 (t2825)
MP1 (t3130)
MP2 (t2515)
MP3 (t2800)
CO (t2575)
Button (t1200)
SB (t2175)
Hero (t2705)
UTG (t2575)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises to t60</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls t60, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t30.

Flop: (t195) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets t30</font>, Hero calls t30, MP3 calls t30.

Turn: (t285) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets t60</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t240</font>, MP3 folds, Button calls t180.

River: (t765) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets t870 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls t870.

Final Pot: t2505

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has 5h 5d (three of a kind, fives).
Button has Ac Ah (three of a kind, aces).
Outcome: Button wins t2505. </font>

As for my call on the end.. well, there were so many hands that I had beat. 2 pair, underset. Maybe I give him credit for the straight. Seemed unlikely.
Old 02-06-2005, 06:34 PM

Default Re: Brilliant or idiotic play by villan?

I'm surprised you didn't lead out and bet the river w/your set.

Other than that, there's no way to get away from your hand.
Old 02-06-2005, 09:54 PM

I think it was a good play on his part. I probably would have played it a little different before the flop. Raised with two AA instead of flat called.

On the flop, you can't get away from your hand, and since you didn't raise, he can't either. In your spot, I would have raised on the flop. Might have chased him out, but from the way you are talking, it wouldn't have mattered.

Just bad luck to run into an ace.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:24 AM

AA on Button should have risen to 120 or so. (Bad Play on his part)

Once you are let in. There is now way you can get away from the hand.

Although you still would have lost. I would have c/r the flop and pushed the turn.
That A on the turn should help you, as someone may have 1, with the high-implied odds you are getting.

Other wise just a bad match up.

Better luck James
Old 02-07-2005, 02:04 PM

I hate his all in bet on the river, cause you will(should) only be calling if he's beat.

But, because he was playing so many hands, his play may look like a bluff and get called by other sets, 2pair, or less. ( Though i still don't like the all in)

Marrek
Old 02-07-2005, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
AA on Button should have risen to 120 or so. (Bad Play on his part)

Once you are let in. There is now way you can get away from the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

So in essence, you are saying that you should always raise with rockets on the button?

I firmly disagree. You must mix up your play with aces. And while I'm sure the villian in this case probably is either really good or really poor (His all-in bet on the river is really atrocious with the straight board IMO, but maybe he had a read or something), he got an inferior hand to play post flop and eventually took all of the inferior hand's money. Not at all a bad play IMO. If he reraises pre flop he doesn't get paid off. Simple as that.

And BTW, very tough hand to get away from. I probably can't put him on a 3 so I'm going broke on this hand as well.

Brad