Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2005, 12:27 PM

Default QK limp causes trouble

Folding preflop has to be too tight, right? Should I raise this pre-flop? Draw heavy flop so I raise to pot-sized bet. Anyone do different? WTF is that turn bet of 15 into a 225 pot? Now 2 pair is very possible. Pos. straight on board. I have TP/2K and nut straight draw. Should I pump it again, or call closing the action? I have to call the river bet right? What do you put BB on?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (8 handed) converter

CO (t720)
Hero (t765)
SB (t560)
BB (t2895)
UTG (t750)
UTG+1 (t740)
MP1 (t710)
MP2 (t860)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls t15, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls t15, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t60) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets t15</font>, MP1 calls t15, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t75</font>, SB calls t75, BB calls t60, MP1 folds.

Turn: (t300) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets t15</font>, Hero calls t15, SB calls t15.

River: (t345) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets t100</font>, Hero calls t100, SB folds.

Final Pot: t545
Old 02-06-2005, 12:44 PM

Default Re: QK limp causes trouble

1. Fold PF.

2. if you don't feel like folding (which is the better play), RAISE PF.

3. Calling PF is the worst of the 3 IMO, but if you do decide to call, you cannot be satistied when the flop gives you TP.

On the flop, I would raise more or call/fold, a 75 raise is doing very little.

on the turn, I would raise for sure, a decent amount so you have a chance to take the pot right there (200 +)

given that river situation, I probably would call the 100, but with great hesitence.

The way you played the hand, BB could have anything, a 15 bet into a 225 pot generally means I am weak and I just want to see another card for cheap. Now, once in a while, it screams raise me so I can reraise you back. But the way BB played that hand, I think he might have hit his two pair on the river, it could be as crap as a 24.

F
Old 02-06-2005, 01:01 PM

I am sorry but why would you fold KQs on the button, with only one limper to you, in the first round? You probably have the best hand here. I would raise PF to take control of the hand right away and try to get it heads up with the limper. And Yes, you have to call on the river. Your getting 4:1 odds. You'll win far more often than that imo.
Old 02-06-2005, 01:10 PM

fold KQs on the button without a raise? Are you drunk?
Old 02-06-2005, 01:16 PM

I've had a hard time convincing myself to raise preflop with non-ace/non-pair hands early. I realize I do probably have the best hand here. Please convince me to pull the trigger.
Old 02-06-2005, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
fold KQs on the button without a raise? Are you drunk?

[/ QUOTE ]

No I am not drunk, and yes, I stand with my initial answer: Fold is the best move PF IMO.
Old 02-06-2005, 02:19 PM

later in the tourney i'd juice it PF...anybody saying he should fold needs to retire from the game of poker, you've been burned far too many times to go on.

in this situation i'd probably do just as you did and limp because it is so early and i tend to play very weak tight for the first 3-5 rounds. the flop is not perfect for your hand, but i'd def raise the flop just to see where i stood, maybe even as small as a minraise, and yours is about as big as i'd go...as i said, tight passive, just wanna survive till the blinds are big enuff to steal. if he repumps on the flop i'd probably fold, if he smooth calls then i'd do as you did and smooth call this turn bet. its a fishy ass bet but you never know what's going through a fish's head when they do something like that. its not worth the risk, i want to win this pot as it stands or move on as cheap as possible.

the river just plain sucks. i'd call with my head turned away from the screen and an extreme wince on my face and laugh hysterically when i see his Q2o.

if this were later in the tourney and 6 handed i'd likely pump it to 3XBB PF and go all in on the flop.

WD
Old 02-06-2005, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
later in the tourney i'd juice it PF...anybody saying he should fold needs to retire from the game of poker, you've been burned far too many times to go on.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree later on the touney folding is might not be the best option, but this is only 10/15 with 800 stacks.

[ QUOTE ]

in this situation i'd probably do just as you did and limp because it is so early and i tend to play very weak tight for the first 3-5 rounds.

[/ QUOTE ]

so wait a sec, are you suggesting weak tight the first few rounds is the best strategy? I agree on the tight part, but not the weak part.
now, since you are playing weak tight, what are you hoping on the flop with KQ? flush draw? straight draw? two pair? then using the same reasoning, shouldn't I be limping with Ax suited? suited connectors? suited two gappers?

[ QUOTE ]

the flop is not perfect for your hand, but i'd def raise the flop just to see where i stood, maybe even as small as a minraise, and yours is about as big as i'd go...

[/ QUOTE ]

right, because a min raise will give you so much information on where you are at...

[ QUOTE ]

as i said, tight passive, just wanna survive till the blinds are big enuff to steal. if he repumps on the flop i'd probably fold, if he smooth calls then i'd do as you did and smooth call this turn bet. its a fishy ass bet but you never know what's going through a fish's head when they do something like that. its not worth the risk, i want to win this pot as it stands or move on as cheap as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

so why aren't you folding PF??

F
Old 02-06-2005, 03:10 PM

if you're folding hands like this preflop, you're giving away a sizeable edge.
Old 02-06-2005, 03:11 PM

Default Results

Thats a big 10/4 good buddy. Over and out.