Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2005, 08:17 PM

Default TT heads up on monotone flop

Villain = the great unknown.

What's-a my line? Is check-folding too tight? Will any flop bet be raised? If so, how should that raise be interpreted? Etc.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: (5.50 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero........

Mama mia!
Old 02-04-2005, 08:22 PM

Default Re: TT heads up on monotone flop

[ QUOTE ]
Is check-folding too tight?

[/ QUOTE ]

good god yes

bet, you may very well have the best hand. If you get raised, I would prolly call down unless another heart comes
Old 02-04-2005, 08:35 PM

I have to disagree with alobar. If the flop came king high and you're raised I might call down. But the button cold called your raise so an ace is a big possibility. I would bet and fold if raised.
Old 02-04-2005, 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have to disagree with alobar. If the flop came king high and you're raised I might call down. But the button cold called your raise so an ace is a big possibility. I would bet and fold if raised.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think youd be folding to much. An ace is a possibility, but people cold call with all kinds of stuff. Especially I imagine at 2/4. I bet an unkown cold calls with more hands that dont have an ace, than with hands that have an ace

If I were going to fold to a raise, I would rather just check/call down
Old 02-04-2005, 10:57 PM

Here's the line I took.

Flop: (5.50 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.75 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 6.75 BB

Is that about the worst possible thing I could have done? With the turn raise, Villain is saying that he can at least beat my TT even if he doesn't have a single heart. If he did have just one heart or a hand worse than a pair of jacks, he would just call when I stop-n-go'd on him. Right? I got out of there for only 1.5BB as opposed to 2.5 by showing down or 3BB by bet-calling the flop and calling down. And I might not have even gotten to showdown if a heart fell on the river.
Old 02-04-2005, 11:03 PM

Is that about the worst possible thing I could have done? With the turn raise, Villain is saying that he can at least beat my TT even if he doesn't have a single heart

i probably play it the same. there will be some odd times that he is blowing you off the best hand with K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Qx, but so be it.
Old 02-05-2005, 12:06 AM

I dont like that line either. People will raise funny bets, and to me thats a funny bet. It's 2/4 so I cant say with any experience, but at a higher limit I think this gets raised a fair amount just because it looks like one of those bets where you are trying to see if your hand is any good and will fold to a raise.
Old 02-05-2005, 01:56 AM

This belongs in the Small Stakes forum.

Check-folding is awful. Bet the flop to protect your hand. The pot is too big to give up without a fight.
Old 02-05-2005, 08:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This belongs in the Small Stakes forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's funny. Someone on Small Stakes said this belongs in HUSH. Seeing as how it's heads-up from preflop on, I thought it was appropriate here. I like learning lines for hands in situations like this from people who play a lot of situations like this.
Old 02-05-2005, 09:49 AM

Hey PJ,

Bet the flop. You think that board looks scary to you? How about to him? If raised, I call down unless another heart or J, Q or K hits the board. But one overcard and a monotone flop, I'm still gonna think I have the best hand until things get a lot scarier than that.

If he calls the flop, fire again on the turn, if raised there, dump it.

If he calls the turn, the river is close, probably can make a case for check calling.