Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2005, 07:17 PM

Default limping with 87s

Typical loose-passive table.

Suggestions please. pf-limp is a little little loose but I liked it at the time. Turn and river feels weak, what do you think? Not so comfortable with this one...

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO folds, Button calls, SB calls, BB folds, UTG+1 folds.

Turn: (4.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, Button checks.

River: (4.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8.50 BB
Old 02-03-2005, 07:32 PM

Default Re: limping with 87s

My read here would be a slowplayed K, TT? 99?, maybe hit a flush. You really only beat one of those hands and that is a lone K. If he made a full house, you'll lose 2 on this most of the time and trips might get scared w/kicker problems (which he could very well have b/c of the limp) and just call you. You probably aren't ahead enough times to raise here for value, but it could also depend on your read of the player.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:14 PM

Well you said the pf limp seems loose but you liked it at the time -- this is probably a little looser than I'd play it with only one limper in ahead of me unless I had good reads (loose-passive) on the 4 players behind me.

If Button is reasonable, he's almost certainly has a flush or QJ for the rivered straight -- you can't tell which, and with 4 broadway [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]'s beating your flush, I don't think you can raise the river. If Button is a nut ball, he could be betting his x9 thinking his two pair is good. In other words, I think you have to call (not raise) the river.

The turn play doesn't strike me as weak at all. You are almost playing the board, and betting against 3 opponents would be a mistake unless you have a strong read which indicates a high probability of folding out both of these guys with a semi-bluff (anyone on the flush draw or an OESD is not folding to your bet -- anyone holding a K or T and probably a 3 is also not folding). A turn bet would most likely be a mistake. Given that Button didn't bet the turn from LP, you can almost certainly dismiss any concern on K's or Villain holding something like 99 (unless he suffers from a particularly virulent form of FPS).

Nice hand.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:23 PM

PF call is too loose.

Why'd you bet the flop?
Old 02-03-2005, 09:44 PM

Fold preflop and 3 bet the river.

-DeathDonkey
Old 02-03-2005, 10:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PF call is too loose.

Why'd you bet the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably because of a good draw and a larger field. But the board is paired here, which probably lowers down on the equity a bit? Does anyone know how much a paired board hurts your equity in terms of %?
Old 02-03-2005, 10:46 PM

I don't bet the flop here, that may be weak, however.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:58 PM

You might want to pump your edge here. You win 35% of the time with the flush draw. If you get 2 callers, you have a slight edge (maybe not here since the board is paired), and anymore than that you are making money on your bet.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:00 PM

Yes, I think I have a basic comprehension of pot equity and pot odds.

I still don't bet the flop.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:05 PM

I can see why you wouldn't here, actually. With a board like this, few people hit and few people are drawing, and you may not get enough callers to make the bet profitable. Also, anyone who stays in probably has a redraw to a full house to beat you.