Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2005, 06:38 PM

Default Raising for a \'free card\' ?

I remember back when I thought I knew how to play poker how I thought I was the best player in the world cause I knew about the 'free card' play. I would always try for it. Since then I've pretty much forgot about it. Maybe everyonce in awhile I'd do it with overcards but it's more of an exception than a rule. Same with flush draws...it just doesn't come up that often. maybe a couple times per month? I dunno, maybe it's just second nature and I'm not conciously doing it...but rather doing it subconciously and not thinking about it.

I was just curious how often mid-limit players make these flop raises and check behind on the turn? It seems like a lot of players will bet into you again, too...which is nice when you have a big made hand. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-30-2005, 06:57 PM

Default Re: Raising for a \'free card\' ?

I don't play the same limits as you do, but I almost always bet the turn now after making the "free card" play. The size of the pots usually justify it.
Old 01-30-2005, 06:58 PM

I don't do it either bicyclekick, at least online. I got tired of paying a lot of money for my free card.
Old 01-30-2005, 07:00 PM

In online poker, the free card play is corny. It is a good play only against the most predictable and passive opponents. In live play, I think it works much more because of the generally more passive nature of live play.
-James
Old 01-30-2005, 07:10 PM

The free card play only works with regularity in unraised pots, but I do use it maybe 2-3 times a day.
Old 01-30-2005, 07:14 PM

There is no point in raising for a free card when you are just going to get 3-bet on the flop and bet into on the turn. That happens quite a bit nowadays on-line.

On the other hand given that, that makes even more reason for raising the flops with monsters which is something that I've started to do much more of recently.
Old 01-30-2005, 08:21 PM

yeah, the play simply does not work in a raised pot in the 15 games.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is a good play only against the most predictable and passive opponents. In live play, I think it works much more because of the generally more passive nature of live play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very, very true.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:40 PM

I use that play when attempting to get to a showdown for 2 big bets when I don't improve. My turn check often invites a river bet with a hand I can beat.

I don't really check behind a semibluff, unless I get a read that it is futile to continue.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:33 PM

I call this the free showdown move.. and I think it's stupid. You're raising on the turn (in position right?) hoping it's checked to you and on through the river. But think about it. You're probably only getting called on the turn (and by probably I mean more often than not) by a hand that can beat a highcard, and hence probably your hand. If you check/call the turn and river, you risk the same amount, and a fair amount of the time induce players to bluff you with worse hands. If you want to see a showdown for 2 BB, go for the check/call. And make sure you're not letting your opponent get a cheap card on the turn either, or missing a good bluff opportunity against a weak opponent.

I like betting the turn however when it's checked to you and you want to see a showdown, but figure the other player will autobet into you on the river if you check through on the turn. Here you protect against the freecard, and if you hit a hand on the river, you can bet and he'll probably still call, or you check through. But if it's checked through the turn, and he bets, you don't know where you stand. So in the former case, you stand to make 2 BBs max, and 1 in the latter (assuming there isn't some unaccounted for aggression.. player dependant read)