Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2005, 05:37 PM

Default How is a Limit MTT different from Limit Cash Game?

I was lucky enough to recently qualify for the WPT Party Poker Million Tournament upcoming in March. It is a Limit tournament, which is definitely an advantage for a rookie like me, where a mistake will cost me a couple big bets, and not my whole stack.

Unfortunately, there are not many Limit tournaments for me to play and get some practice in. Also, I haven't come across any books on the subject. If someone could point me to a book that discusses Limit tourneys, please let me know.

The Limit tourneys on Party tend to have blind escalation that restricts the amount of play. Basically if you lose one big pot, you are in deep trouble. So they don't really simulate the much slower structure the WPT event will use.

I am aware of the Party "semi-Final" tournaments coming up in early February, two of which are limit. These tourneys start you with a bigger stack and have longer levels. I am looking forward to them as it will give me as good practice as I am going to get.

That being said, ther's not a lot of info/books out there on Limit tournament strategy and I am wondering how it differs from regular limit ring games we play everyday.

So what are the differences?

Some of my thoughts after playing a couple Limit tourneys on Party:

It seemed like when I was a small stack mid-tournament, I wanted to wait for a big hand preflop, since most of the money is going in pre-flop and on the flop. It seems like you have to wait for a big hand, since you will likely be called by a big stack. What if you have AK, but miss the flop? Do you keep betting, hoping your opponent will fold, or do you play a weak-tight strategy with a small stack?

Also, do you refrain from playing drawing hands with a medium or small stack? Normally, they might be +EV, but you can't really keep seeing flops because if you don't win a big hand, your stack will be decimated pretty quick.

Any help would be much appreciated, as would any advice from players here that have played in big buy-in events.

Thanks,
Pete
Old 01-27-2005, 05:55 PM

Default Re: How is a Limit MTT different from Limit Cash Game?

Check out Winning Tournament Poker by Tom McEvoy. It has some good info about limit tournaments.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:06 PM

The only limit tournaments I've played in are online, where the later stages are almost like NL due to the high blinds relative to stacks, therefore I dont have much experience in a deep stack limit tournament. I'd recommend opening an account on stars to play their occassional limit rebuy tournaments, to get a feel for deeper stack play in limit tournaments.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:37 PM

Great... anyone know of any other books talking about limit tourneys?

Better yet, anyone here actually PLAY in any big buy-in limit tourneys? I'd love to hear your experiences.
Old 01-29-2005, 04:16 AM

You should try playing in the Super Wednesday. From my experience it allows for more play than the other, regular MTTs.
Old 01-29-2005, 05:36 AM

Suited connectors are your friend.
Old 01-29-2005, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As in a cash game, yes, but to what extent? Ignoring a lot of important variables, but at least assuming you're mid-stacked, would you call in the CO with, say, 98s after UTG+1 open raises? What if there's one caller? I've been mucking these in limit MTTs, but have been starting to think that they may be worth a call - limited loss but a potenitally big payoff if you hit.
Old 01-29-2005, 06:08 PM

I've had good results in quite a few of the higher buy in (100+) on line limit tournies.
Very tight and very aggressive - no limping - is the way to go in my opinion. At Party the blinds are small for the first three levels and then escalate rapidly at Levels 4 and 5. You have to hit some cards here otherwise it's all over. Afterwards the blinds slow down again and you have more time. Now you can start attacking the blinds if you have a stack, and if not just wait for a premium hand and go with it. Not so different to NL really except you can wait longer before pushing.
I haven't played in any major tournies with deep stacks but I don't see why you shouldn't play your normal ring game until the blinds are high.
As regards literature, Tournament poker by Sklansky is obviously a must read. Cloutier and McEvoy's Championship Holdem is OK, and the much maligned 'Play poker like the pro's' actually has a reasonable chapter on Limit Holdem tournaments. And make sure you are a good short-handed player if you want to make serious money.
Good luck
Gazza
Old 01-29-2005, 09:23 PM

Thanks for the feedback - it's quite germaine, as I'm playing in the Stars 200+15 in about an hour. I've done decently in a few 20 and 30s (and won this entry in a satellite), so your comments will come in handy. Other than stack adjusments (both mine and the villains), I do try and stick close to a normal, hopefully TAG, ring game approach, and playing 6-max gives an edge, I think.

I've skimmed the Sklansky tournament book but will need to give it more in-depth study if these tourneys become a regular deal.
Old 01-29-2005, 10:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This can't be right, can it? Maybe is the looser, first few levels early in the tournament but can't be correct late. Can you explain more why you think this is right?