Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2005, 12:01 AM

Default I think halo is putting me on tilt

I have been playing halo on xbox live now pretty much continiously for the last 4 days as it is the most fun i have had in front of a tv in my life. The problem is that i suck, and i hate this as i am as competitive as it gets. I think that me losing when playing halo is getting to me in my poker playing because i feel the need to make for my losing at halo by winning at poker. Over the last 4 days i have not been playing as much poker, but i am down close to $400 on the week which is my lowest downswing in quite some time. A perfect example is this: I was playing at party $25 PLO with KK67 double suited on the button i raise the pot with 5 callers. the flop comes AJ of diamonds (one of my kings was a diamond). I called two pot size bets against a guy with a stack that was slightly bigger than mine. On the turn the guy puts me all in. at this point the pot is laying me about 5:2 to my 4.5:1 call. I knew i should have folded but i didn't care, i needed a big pot to make me feel better about myself. I called and of course missed. This is quite a dillemna to me as my decision making on the flop and turn tend to be a great edge for me. Has any one else encountered anything like this? (outside factors effecting their poker playing?)
Old 01-28-2005, 02:11 AM

Default Re: I think halo is putting me on tilt

Halo or Halo2?
Old 01-28-2005, 02:19 AM

prolly halo2 [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 01-28-2005, 02:38 AM

It's a stupid video game, how can it put you on tilt at the poker table?
Old 01-28-2005, 06:08 AM

I had the same problem. I liked Halo 1, but am terrible at Halo2. Solution: Join team games and annoy the hell out of your team, but dont betray because you will get booted. There are so many things you can do, and its fun to listen to them whine.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:12 AM

halo 2
Old 01-28-2005, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I had the same problem. I liked Halo 1, but am terrible at Halo2. Solution: Join team games and annoy the hell out of your team, but dont betray because you will get booted. There are so many things you can do, and its fun to listen to them whine.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was a pretty good Halo player, but had never played Halo multiplayer before I got invited to a 12-person Halo-fest by a neighbor (I play lots of multiplayer FPS on the PC, though). I was getting schooled, but found a good way to get better quickly was when we played a team game, mainly CTF, I played defense.

Defense gave me a chance to get used to the pace and skills of other players without always having to be right in the middle of the action. Eventually, I got up to speed and was one of the better players there.