Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2005, 07:47 PM

Default First post

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Poker Room 1/2 Hold’em (10 Handed)
MP3 posts blind of $1.

PRE-FLOP: Hero is BB with 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 (poster) checks, <font color="red"> CO raises, </font> <font color="black"> Button folds, SB folds, Hero calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls.
</font>
No reads yet. I am thinking AA-JJ, AKs, AK, AQs for CO.

FLOP: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img],2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (4 players)
Hero checks, MP2 checks, MP3 checks, <font color="red"> CO bets, Hero raises, </font> <font color="black"> MP2 folds, MP3 folds, </font> <font color="red"> CO 3-bets, </font> <font color="black"> Hero calls. </font>

Raising here to drive out MP2 &amp; MP3 and to see where I stand. CO 3-bet makes me think AA-JJ. I decide to check-call it down UI.

TURN: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="red"> CO bets, </font> <font color="black"> Hero calls. </font>

Improved to 2 pair. Still in check-call mode.

RIVER: 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="red"> CO bets, Hero raises, </font><font color="black"> CO calls. </font>

Hit my boat! Correct check-raise, or do I lead out here? CO has been aggressive up till now.

Final Pot: 13.50 BB

Basic questions are did I correctly to go into check-call mode after the flop and leading out vs. check-raising the river. Hitting the boat was a bonus, obviously.

Comments much appreciated.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:51 PM

Default Re: First post

I lead out the river.

Nice hand.

Actually, now that I think about it (threw me off w/o the pot being counted) I'm not sure I call the turn.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:14 PM

hi
welcome.
i'm calling the turn, and leading the river...if he's overplaying overcards he'll check the river through (but won't call a bet anyway), but if he has a high pocket pair, he's calling/raising.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Long time lurker, first time poster.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damnit!

By the time I thought of saying that, I'd already done 200 posts! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Welcome to the forum.

PF: No way can you narrow him down like that: he's got one limper in MP behind him and 2.5sb worth of dead money. In his position I would raise with KQs, QJs, and some other hands, like TT. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

With your hand, you may very well want to raise here.

If you raise, you get to know much more about his hand based on whether or not he caps, which makes playing the later streets easier.

I'm pretty junior here myself, though, so I'm not SURE that TT is a raise here; if there is a best plan, the difference between raising and calling is probably pretty small.

The rest of the hand was pretty good, depending on how likely it is that you're beat.

If your chance at being the best isn't very good, though, it seems like calling down might be an expensive line.

You'd want a good read that the guy has a good chance of 3-bet bluffing on a ragged board like this before you did that. You're paying 2.5:flop pot+2bb to do this, with an expected value of an extra bet IF you hit, which you won't do very often at all (8.5%?).

I think check-raising in this case is best, as long as you're quick to check. If you have to pause to think about it, bet, because he probably won't. The thing that makes check-raising so Fine here is that if you come out betting after calling along, he might put you on something that beats his hand.

(I would really appreciate it if some of the more senior members of the forum commented on my thoughts here.)