Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2004, 02:52 AM

Default Am I an [censored]??

So I was playing a play money SNG(bored as hell, and tired) when some guy randomly says "I hate you all" I reply "Sweet dude"

A few minutes later he says "I'm gonna kill myself tomorrow, so I'm throwign all my money away(play money....wtf?)

I say"Will you give me some money?"
He said he would, but he didn't know how to transfer money. I tell him how, and all of the sudden he changes his mind, saying he promised his money to a friend(he said he had $200 in his account)I was skeptical the whole time, but thought, hey, if I can get some free money it's at least worth a shot

Am I an [censored] for trying to get this guy's money? I coudln't really do anything, if he really DID plan to kill himself.....
Old 12-30-2004, 02:58 AM

Default Re: Am I an [censored]??

Sounds good to me, he has no use for money if he's going to be dead. +EV.
Old 12-30-2004, 02:58 AM

i woulda done the same, but whats more important is you love poker so much youll play a play money sng!
Old 12-30-2004, 02:59 AM

You should kill yourself and give the guy all your money to prevent him from taking his life.

Clearly the only option.

I love how people come here for moral advice and relationship problems. Write in to Dear Abby or talk to a priest.

Is it really going to change your mind if a bunch of 2+2ers say you are going to rot in hell or if they say that you are a chump for not getting the money??

Let's be honest, the board is great, but this isn't a damn therapy session.
Old 12-30-2004, 03:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i woulda done the same, but whats more important is you love poker so much youll play a play money sng!

[/ QUOTE ]
Well it gives me a chance to learn new games(like remembering dead cards in 7CS, or learning to read the board in O8.
Old 12-30-2004, 03:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You should kill yourself and give the guy all your money to prevent him from taking his life.

Clearly the only option.

I love how people come here for moral advice and relationship problems. Write in to Dear Abby or talk to a priest.

Is it really going to change your mind if a bunch of 2+2ers say you are going to rot in hell or if they say that you are a chump for not getting the money??

Let's be honest, the board is great, but this isn't a damn therapy session.

[/ QUOTE ]
I was just kinda wondering if you guys would have done the same thing as I did....
Old 12-30-2004, 03:22 AM

Are you an arsehole? I don't like to pass judgment on people... but the fact that you're asking says to me that something inside you is not content with your handling of the situation.

There's lots of people who joke about suicide, but speaking as someone who has experienced loss through suicide, it's really not funny. Yes, I know that there are manipulators who will threaten to kill themselves with no real intent to do so, but you can't tell who is serious and who is not. So you have to handle these statements as real threats.

And irrational behavior is part of the problem with our perception of suicidal behavior. It may seem to you and me that his changing his mind about giving away his money meant that he wasn't serious, but that could simply be the product of irrational thought processes.

What you should have done, IMHO, was to send an email to tech support telling them to review the chat session, because a player was threatening to kill himself tomorrow. They have the player's contact info, and they could do something to stop it, such as calling local police or whatever. Would a poker site go to such lengths? I don't know. But at least you did your part.

Sorry to be humorless about this, but if someone close to you ever commits suicide, you'll feel the same. I guarantee it.
Old 12-30-2004, 03:41 AM

Life is the 2nd greatest gift of all...

1st is His Grace...
Old 12-30-2004, 04:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds good to me, he has no use for money if he's going to be dead. +EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. Harsh.
Old 12-30-2004, 04:53 AM

IM(unprofessional)O, Forget about it. This person is either joking or has just hit a low point in life. People who say things like this aren't usually even close to the point where they will take their own life.