Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2005, 04:00 PM

Default drunk idiot

so i'm a small stakes player. 2/4 - 5/10. i came home hammered last night and decided to play poker. maybe i should post this in the mid stakes forum but i started playing 30/60 for some reason. completely retarded too, raising most hands and most flops. i was down close to $1200 at one point but luckily bounced back and finished only down $400. how do you avoid playing drunk? i thought i'd got over this urge, but apparently not.
Old 01-20-2005, 04:01 PM

Default Re: drunk idiot

More important question, how were you still drunk by the time you got off the 30/60 waiting list and on the table?
Old 01-20-2005, 04:06 PM

Next time you feel like playing 30/60 drunk PM me and I'll give you a place to PayPal $1000.
Old 01-20-2005, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how do you avoid playing drunk?

[/ QUOTE ]

Same way you fix any other leak. Don't do it.
Old 01-20-2005, 04:30 PM

there was no waiting list. in fact there was only 5 or 6 people at the table.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:12 PM

Whenever I get the urge to play drunk, I play $2 max NL (I really suck at NL), $5 SnGs, or something like $0.10/$0.20 limit. This way even if I lose a couple of buyins, its no worse than if I just had an extra drink or two at the bar.

There's one problem with my solution, though, which is that in my drunk and reckless state, I often get an urge for the 'thrill' of playing for big money - sometimes winning a $1 pot just doesn't even register. It sounds like this is a big problem for you if you jumped up to 30/60. My advise is either:

a) just stop playing drunk - easier said then done, but life is full of situations like this. If you really have a hard time controlling yourself, before you go out drinking unplug all the cables from your computer and hide them in various places around the house. When you come home hammered, you will probably not have the motivation and/or coordination to get everything back together before you pass out.

b) force yourself to only play tournaments, and only those with a really low buyin. Once the tournament starts, there'll be nothing to remind you that you are only playing for small stakes (all the bets and pot numbers will be in tournament chips), and you can try to convince your drunken mind that your $5 SnG is the final table of the WSOP.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:13 PM

if you really cant stop, unplug your modem and various other things that would make it difficult to play when you get home. My favorite solution though has always been to start a .5/1 2+2 table on party. You can do the same thing on stars, or where ever it you play.

peace

john nickle
Old 01-20-2005, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how do you avoid playing drunk? i thought i'd got over this urge, but apparently not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Replace "playing" with "crapping yourself" and notice how silly it reads. Asking how to stop doing things drunk is a legitimate question, but it has nothing to do with poker. Even if the dumb thing you're doing is playing poker.