Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2005, 09:01 PM

Default 08 high hands in EP pre flop

I'm still working on my starting hand selection, thanks for all the help people have given me so far.

I'm starting to think that unless the game is loose and passive, high hands don't play well from early position (unless they're really really good). Hands like Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or even KQJT rainbow don't seem that strong unless a lot of players are likely to see the flop for one bet. So am I on the right track here? Are these easy mucks? And how good of a high-only hand is needed in EP in a tight game. Obviously a hand like AAKK double suited is okay, but how much can you lower your standards from that?

Thanks for all the help...
Old 01-19-2005, 09:09 PM

Default Re: 08 high hands in EP pre flop

The big value of the high hands comes from high
flops, when the lows become dead money.

You want to play hands that mesh well with high
flops. Obviously, later position gives you a
chance to see how much is in the pot and if it
is raised.

Up front, unless they never raise behind, I only
want high hands that contain AA,KK,or QQ and to
be suited at least once. Unless the game is very
loose passive.

But the high hands tend to be marginal anyhow, so
why get involved with junk?
Old 01-19-2005, 09:55 PM

I think you have to be fairly sure you WILL be raised preflop to (auto)fold these. The nice thing about high hands is that with the right flop, even a marginal high hand has a good chance to be ahead against multiple excellent low hands for the scoop. When in doubt, fold, but don't be afraid to play the occasional high hand out of position as it seems to be a good red herring without too much -EV.

Slim
Old 01-20-2005, 09:49 AM

I want any high hand to be suited or double suited. Preferably I would like to have a suited King or Ace. The value of being suited drops off significantly for lower values. You do not want to be drawing to less than the second nut flush.

Big pairs are good. A pair of Queens is the bottom end, JJ and TT do not add much to a hand. The problem with these pairs is that if you get a high flop and make a set there will be overcards to your set. If some one makes a bigger set or a big full house you will lose many chips.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:12 PM

I don't like high hands in loose games, too many ways to be beaten even on high flops unless you have the nuts, which is usually a boat or a flush. I agree you want to be at least suited if not DS, you may not be drawing to those flushes, but they are nice back-up.