Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2005, 04:35 PM

Default Questionable hand, questionable line?

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG+1 <font color="#A500AF">(bad-loose-passive)</font> calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button folds, SB calls, Hero calls, UTG+1 <font color="#A500AF">(bad-loose-passive)</font> calls.

Flop: (8 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, bad-loose-passive checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, SB folds, Hero calls, bad-loose-passive calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, bad-loose-passive checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls, bad-loose-passive calls.

River: (8.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, bad-loose-passive checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls, bad-loose-passive folds.

Final Pot: 10.50 BB

Here's my thinking:

The preflop raiser is a decent player. the "bad-loose-passive" is the reason I'm at the table. He's 81% VP$P.

With just the fishie in the pot, I think the decent player in the CO will raise to isolate with many hands, so I decide to call the raise in my big blind with a questionable hand.

I get a great flop. My initial plan was to try to get in a check-raise, but then I realized I'll push out my fish if I do. So I check-called the flop, knowing the fish would probably call too. If the fish folds on the flop, then I'll check-raise the turn on a non-heart, non-broadway card.

I want to bet out on the turn if a blank falls, giving the CO a chance to raise, and trap the fish for 2 bets.

The turn is an ugly card. It completes a flush, a straight, and increases the chance of an Ace-raising hand having a better two pair, so I commit myself to the check-call plan to the river.

Who bets out on the flop, and why?

Other thoughts appreciated.

-Scott
Old 01-16-2005, 05:02 PM

Default Re: Questionable hand, questionable line?

Definite fold preflop. And postflop, you flopped a monster and never got a raise with a horrible player who would likely have drawn for more bets. Sure, you don't love the Q, but there are still plenty of aces you crush. All in all, yuck I think.
-James
Old 01-16-2005, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Definite fold preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-16-2005, 08:00 PM

its all very very bad bad
Old 01-16-2005, 08:10 PM

It isn't as bad as all that. The call PF is questionable, but not terrible. But how about betting it out on the flop? The fish will call the one bet, the PFRer will either raise or fold. You call, and I garuntee you the fish calls - that's two more SBs in the pot. Also, remember that a Aces and TWOS lose to any other ace if the board pairs.

After that ugly turn card, calling all the way is the right move.

CSC
Old 01-16-2005, 08:49 PM

I understand your preflop thinking, but still a fold I think. Post flop where's the raise ? Hello !?!!? Raise ? Anyone ? Anywhere ? JK, good luck.
Old 01-16-2005, 09:15 PM

Default Preflop is fine. . .

easy call. Not check-raising the flop is a major error. Check-raise and keep betting turn and river until strength shown.

TSP
Old 01-16-2005, 10:34 PM

Default Re: Preflop is fine. . .

[ QUOTE ]
easy call. Not check-raising the flop is a major error. Check-raise and keep betting turn and river until strength shown.

TSP

[/ QUOTE ]

What makes this an esay call? I can't think of 1 reason to call here.
-James
Old 01-16-2005, 10:35 PM

Default Re: Preflop is fine. . .

eh, i think preflop sucks
Old 01-17-2005, 12:10 AM

Why not lead the flop and 3-bet the CO when he raises? Thats my standard line when I flop 2 pair in the blinds.