Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2005, 04:09 AM

Default Craziest hand I\'ve ever played.

This is by far the most ridiculous thing I've had happen to me in a poker game, but how would you play it?

Pokerstars NLHE $1/2 blinds $200 max buy-in

Hero in MP2 ($245)
BB ($170)
CO ($205)

Hero dealt J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in MP2, UTG + 1 limps, Hero raises to $8, CO calls, BB calls, UTG + 1 calls

FLOP ($33): J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

BB bets $10, UTG + 1 folds, Hero calls, CO calls

TURN ($63) K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

BB bets $6, Hero raises to $12, CO calls $12, BB calls

RIVER ($100): Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

BB bets $12, Hero goes all-in for $210, CO calls with about $175 left, BB folds.

The more I think about this, the less I like my all-in. How should I have played this, and can you guess what CO held?
Old 01-10-2005, 04:16 AM

Default Re: Craziest hand I\'ve ever played.

Royal flush?
Old 01-10-2005, 04:17 AM

Since you posted this I'm going to have to guess AT [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Not much you can do about people hitting runner runner royal flushes, though I don't like the turn minraise that much. These situations are hard to play because they are so rare.

I'm guessing you don't like your push because you'll only be called by the royal?
Old 01-10-2005, 04:21 AM

"I'm guessing you don't like your push because you'll only be called by the royal?"

I might also be called by a boat/a flush/or maybe AK since the betting was so weak and this may look like a desperation move. The royal is certainly a possibility, but what would be a reasonable bet on the turn and then on the river?
Old 01-10-2005, 06:14 AM

I like to think that I would have spotted the potential royal on the board by the turn and that I would have pushed all-in on the turn to make it a really difficult decision for the guy on whether or not he wants to risk all his money on the chance of one card coming up.

That said, I most likely wouldn't have spotted the possibility of a royal flush on the board, as I would be too happy about my quad jacks and would have slow played it like you. But, I think I would have made some sizable bets on the assumption that they hit something on the flop, which would make them call me.
Old 01-10-2005, 07:03 AM

Anyone who is thinking about this hand as "How do you avoid the guy drawing to the royal?" is being ridiculous. The question is "How do you get it all-in here?" and you didn't take the best line to do that. I think the flop is fine, but you definitely have to raise the turn more if you are going to get a big river bet in. You know that neither of them has a J so you need to raise as much as someone will call with a decent ace. There is also a king on the board, so you might even be up against AK or KK. Raise it up to 40 or 50 so you can get all-in on the river without overbetting.