Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2004, 09:49 AM

Default Pot-limit TDL

Is triple draw lowball a good game to play pot-limit? I was talking to a guy last night who said they used to play it from time to time in a home game. In thinking about it, it seems to me that having position would be an absolute necessity unless you're lucky enough to be dealt a pat hand or make one on the first draw. Has anybody played TDL in a big bet format and, if so, what adjustments need to be made?
Old 12-15-2004, 12:00 PM

Default Re: Pot-limit TDL

Well lowball was played in the past with no limit and some would argue that it's the only way to play it. I'm sure pot limit would be fairly similar. Position is always crucial even in limit lowball.
Old 12-15-2004, 04:50 PM

I think it is best as a pot limit game, although it has always had its advocates among no-limit players. I had never heard of limit TDL until it appeared on the internet recently.

Position is king. It's best to be last to act or first to bluff. If you play lowball, you can look at TDL as comprised of two games: two rounds of TDL and a final round of straight lowball.

Jim Geary wrote some great PLTDL posts on this forum about 2.5 years ago. They may still be available in the archives.
Old 12-20-2004, 05:08 PM

All draw games are extremely position-driven. I used to call it and deuce-to-seven all the time in our dealer's choice game because I always had such a huge edge due to position. Also, most of the other players weren't very strong in those games anyway, and tended to either overplay or underplay their hands. When people started picking up on this I switched to some more split-pot no qualifier games, which are just as good or better IMO.

p.s. The game I am referring to was pot-limit dealer's choice. There are one or two posters on this forum who play in that game who I am sure agree with me.
Old 01-16-2005, 05:07 PM

Sorry for the old post bump-up here, but does anyone know what username Jim Geary posted under? I can't find these posts. They may not be available anymore but I'm lookin.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry for the old post bump-up here, but does anyone know what username Jim Geary posted under? I can't find these posts. They may not be available anymore but I'm lookin.

[/ QUOTE ]

Feel free to bump away! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I found one of his posts here:

2-7 Triple Draw

Bring up the page and do a find for "Geary". There was another good post of his, but I haven't been able to locate it.