Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2005, 03:51 PM

Default Big pot, weak hand, big blind.

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: elindauer is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, elindauer checks.

Flop: (8 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(8 players)</font>
SB checks, elindauer checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, CO folds, SB folds, elindauer calls, UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
elindauer checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">elindauer raises</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP2 calls.

River: (11.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">elindauer bets</font>.

Tough hand, I thought. I bounced back and forth from folding to raising to calling on every street and ended up going with whatever action was on my mind when I finally felt I needed to play... not exactly a recipe for confident poker. Did I make the right decisions?

Thanks,
Eric
Old 01-08-2005, 03:58 PM

Default Re: Big pot, weak hand, big blind.

I would muck it in on the flop.
Old 01-08-2005, 04:06 PM

This is an easy fold on the flop. You have nothing but overcards and a backdoor straight draw. Someone could already have trips, and a spade could give someone a flush. The pot is realtively small.

On the turn, I think the board is too coordinated to try a bluff raise, but it is close between raising and folding.

I'd check the river, since you can win a showdown against two busted draws, and I don't see a pair folding.
Old 01-08-2005, 07:35 PM

I dont think rasing is bad either.

And calling down is probably not a good option.so that leaves you with the good old raise / fold situation - i would probably fold it quite often because of the other caller though..
Old 01-09-2005, 02:24 AM

Default Results

Not too much interest in this one. I'm not sure if this means it's a tough hand and it's too close to call, or if everybody just sees it as too easy to bother discussing. Here are my thoughts:

flop: man, so much checking and such a missed everybody kind of board in a decent pot. I'm not convinced I'm even behind, and getting 9:1 in a passive game, I thought folding might be passing on a marginally profitable play. I couldn't quite bring myself to raise. I think folding is perhaps the default play though.

turn: now I've picked even more outs against a one pair type hand, and the bettor could easily have just overcards. Since I'm calling the turn anyways, it seemed that I'd greatly increase my odds of winning with one more bet. I put the coldcaller on spades and was disappointed when the bettor called as well.

river: pretty good sized pot now. spades missed. If I check do I... call? fold? yuck. yuck. Just a split second to decide, I went with the aggressive play that might win me the pot should a better ace fold or somebody making a "good fold" recognizing that I can't bet into two players here without a pair. I don't know though. Another tough spot I think.

Results: The coldcaller called, the turn bettor folded. I'm shown a "missed" flush draw Qs9s and MHING.