Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2005, 02:05 AM

Default Good push from CO?

Poker Stars FPP supersatellite, 9 gets seat in $215 tournament, 16 left, blinds 600/1200, 2400 in pot with antes. I am in CO with T11500, 1/2 average stack, and K9o. I push and get called by QQ and knocked out.

Although I was a short stack, I was not in a desperate situation to make a move. I could wait for the right situation to pick up chips and see if others would bust out first. While not desperate, I definately was nowhere near where I could fold into the money.

I figured the 2400 in the pot was too juicy to pass up and there was a good chance none of the remaining three players had a big hand. If I got called I would probably be at a disadvantage, but maybe not a big one.

Obviously, that was not the case, and I probably don't remember my successful semisteals as well.

Anyway, was this a good push?
Old 01-07-2005, 02:14 AM

Default Re: Good push from CO?

About 10XBB and the blinds just past you, I'd pass. Probably push with KJ (not that it would have made a difference in this specific case).
Old 01-07-2005, 01:32 PM

Depends on the players behind and the psychology with regards how likely I am to win uncontested, but generally I'd push.
Old 01-07-2005, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, was this a good push?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on the stacks of the three remaining players, because this makes all of the difference.

Obviously, anyone's calling with QQ here, so it made no difference in this situation -- but, if you're asking in general if this is a good play, it's important to consider the size of the stacks into which you're pushing.

Someone who has 2x the average stack will possibly call off 1/4 of his chips here with KT-KQ, Ax, QJs/JTs and probably any pair. If there are three similarly-stacked players behind you, it's likely enough that one of them will have a hand worth defending, and you should fold.

On the other hand, if you're acting before two of the short stacks and one similarly-sized stack, pushing is probably the right play. Shortstack probably mucks KTo to your push, etc.

-DB
Old 01-07-2005, 01:48 PM

This is where I really disagree with most of the posters on here I think it is a definite pass. I tend to be a patient smallish stack(8-12 BB)..as you said you are half of of an avg stack...and usually avg is a little above median...Wait for a decent hand here or a very clear steal situation...K9 isnt a good hand to steal with generally also bc the K might get you dominated by alot of callers. I muck easily.