Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2005, 11:11 PM

Default whiffed check-raise

This seems to happen to me a lot. With no reads, should I just go ahead and check-raise the flop, or try for the turn? I hate to miss the bets on the turn like this.

No reads on villans.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: (9.50 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, CO folds, Button calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.25 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 checks, Button checks.

River: (6.25 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 folds, Button folds.

Final Pot: 7.25 BB
Old 01-06-2005, 11:19 PM

Default Re: whiffed check-raise

Lead the flop. Don't give a free card to a flush draw or lone heart to draw out on you.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:24 PM

I would bet to protect my hand. Sure, they may fold the flop fearing I have AK/Q, but better to win small than lose big. I haven't played 2/4 online in a while (play mostly SNGs now), but with three opponents it's conceivable someone is chasing a flush. You make money against flush draws when you extract bets before they make their flush. 2/4 online players are probably good enough (depending [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]) to not pay you off when their draws don't connect. If you lead the flop, the flush draw may even raise you. Then you can call and lead the non-heart turn, or re-raise immediatly.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:27 PM

FPS dude. If you're raising this UTG+1, definitely make sure you're getting your bets in postflop.

Rob
Old 01-06-2005, 11:27 PM

I think it's important to note in this example that YOU are the preflop raiser. The absolute worst card that could have come up to accompany your 8 was that ace. Everyone at the table thinks you have that ace, and they are most likely expecting a check raise on the turn because of that ace. That 8 looks harmless and it isn't what they are afraid of, it's the ace, which is why they checked the turn. In an example when you are early position AND the preflop raiser, I think you should just bet out the flop and turn and hope for the best because that ace is scaring everyone with your raise.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:30 PM

bet the flop.

bet the turn.

bet the river.

3-bet if raised.

rinse.

repeat.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:51 PM

Sounds good. For the record, i was UTG+2 not UTG+1..
Old 01-07-2005, 12:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
bet the flop.

bet the turn.

bet the river.

3-bet if raised.

rinse.

repeat.

[/ QUOTE ]

repeat again.