Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2005, 05:39 PM

Default Running hot or just normal?

I was looking around my PT stats, and trying to determine whether -- over the last 15k-ish hands -- I've been playing well or simply getting run over by the cards. My results have been good -- I started with about $30 (playing microlimit) and turned it into about $1300 (going as high as $5/$10 -- briefly -- but mostly at $2/$4) over that time period. I don't think I'm a particularly good player. Of course, you don't have to be a particularly good player to win at microlimit, and once I moved up to small stakes my variance (naturally) has been quite a bit higher but my results still positive, which triggered this question.

I'm pretty happy with my current VP$IP (a shade under 20%), so I figured a good way to look at it would be by examining my pocket cards.

In 14721 hands, I'd expect (assuming random distribution) to see each combination of hole cards (AA, AKs, AKo, etc) about 87 times. So I looked at hands that I'd consider raising with fairly often --

AQo: 169, nearly twice what I'd expect
AKo: 144, way over what's expected
KQo: 139 (of the hands I checked, this is IMO far and away the worst, and I rarely raise with it under less-than-ideal circumstances)

...but on the other hand...

TT: 78
AA: 73
JJ: 71
KK: 68
QQ: 55
AQs: 48
AKs: 47
KQs: 41

So my question is, can anyone suggest some way to determine whether "getting AKo 60% more often than expected" (et al) is a hot enough run to explain (or, more to the point, dismiss) my success with my bankroll? I figure the answer is going to come down to some sort of stats answer, and I was never good at stats.

Or perhaps this is the wrong way to look at whether I'm getting lucky. Final hand, perhaps?
Old 01-06-2005, 06:08 PM

Default Re: Running hot or just normal?

Keep in mind that you should expect non-pocket offsuit cards more often that suited cards/pocket pairs.

A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

versus
A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

and

A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]