Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2005, 11:47 PM

Default If I could only learn to trust my instinct

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, SB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, SB calls.

Turn: (5 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (9 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11 BB

I think one of the leaks in my game is not folding when I'm pretty sure I'm beat. I knew the villain picked up the blind two pair special here but sometimes I just can't stand to fold. I think my win rate would be a lot higher if I just followed my intuition instead of my curiosity.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:49 PM

Default Re: If I could only learn to trust my instinct

Folding anywhere in this hand would be bad poker. Nice hand.

Rob
Old 01-05-2005, 11:50 PM

This hand is fine. Even if he has 2 pair, you have 8 outs against it. He will have top pair a good % of the time (or even less then top pair) when he bets the flop. He might even check/raise you with just a pair of 9's or something like TT.

Brad
Old 01-06-2005, 12:09 AM

When was the last time someone bet the flop then check raised the turn and you won with top pair or an overpair?
Old 01-06-2005, 12:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When was the last time someone bet the flop then check raised the turn and you won with top pair or an overpair?

[/ QUOTE ]

Earlier today, why?

Rob
Old 01-06-2005, 12:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

About 3 hours ago. The board was a Q with 3 rags, and he checkraised me with QJ. I had KQ.
Old 01-06-2005, 12:14 AM

I agree, don't know about you but I would play 10's or Jacks the same way.
Old 01-06-2005, 12:41 AM

This is a strong line but by no means a monster. Usually this is done with at least top pair, and our hero can beat top pair and any overpair but AA.

Brad
Old 01-06-2005, 12:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think one of the leaks in my game is not folding when I'm pretty sure I'm beat. I knew the villain picked up the blind two pair special here but sometimes I just can't stand to fold. I think my win rate would be a lot higher if I just followed my intuition instead of my curiosity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Intuition is a fuzzy term we use to describe logical inferences that we don't know we're making. Is he a generally passive or agressive player? What are the limits of his betting/check-raising as far as you've seen? Why did you *KNOW* the villain picked up two pair?

If a complete rock comes out with a check-raise on the turn, you'd better think twice about your overpair. But if you've got a moderately agressive player, you might still be good. Stop and think for a while if you can remember anything about this player. (If you can't, you might not have been paying enough attention -- a major problem for most players at this level.)

Now if you have none of that, then you're seeing monsters. Even though monsters are sometimes there, a vast majority of the time they are not. And you'll lose out BIG if you fold when they're not.

Oh yeah, and even if you *DID* know that he had two pair, you're calling the raise because you've got 8 outs (2 Ks, 6 board pairs that don't make him a boat) and you're getting 8:1 on this 4.75:1 draw.
Old 01-06-2005, 04:20 AM

Location: Condemned to a lifetime in the kiddie pool, where I will never make moves.

[ QUOTE ]
This hand is fine. Even if he has 2 pair, you have 8 outs against it.
Brad

[/ QUOTE ]
Good point, I didn't catch on to this when I started poker, maybe others had a similar experience?