Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2005, 10:43 PM

Default Protecting my hand- am I doing this right? \'Cause it feels ooky

Pacific 2/4
Sadly, I cannot beat this game.

89o in BB
4 limpers and me to see flop, SB folds

flop Q69r
checked to last player who bets. I raise, call, reraise, fold, call, I call, call.

Turn 8
I check, check, check, bet. I raise, fold, reraise, call. I cap, call, call.

River J
I bet, raise, call, I call.

My thoughts looking in after the fact.
Is this pot too small to protect my hand? I figured I had 5 clean outs to two pair or better plus the back door straight. I looked at the WWED bracelet on my wrist and raised since the bet came from my immediate right.

But the hand protection program goes all awry to a check-reraise. Clearly I have to call this bet, right?

The turn is my dream card and I get my check-raise in only to have the same clown check-reraise me (which is a pretty sweet move to get to work twice in a row).

Comments?
J
Old 01-04-2005, 10:46 PM

Default Re: Protecting my hand- am I doing this right? \'Cause it feels ooky

Why on earth do you bet the river? There is a 4 straight on the board, someone has represented a set the whole way, and you have middle two pair. CHECK HERE. However i think your flop and turn play was fine, just got wreckless towards the end.
Old 01-04-2005, 10:54 PM

Yes, well I was going to post about my river bet in the Psychology forum. Different leak.

[ QUOTE ]
Why on earth do you bet the river? There is a 4 straight on the board, someone has represented a set the whole way, and you have middle two pair. CHECK HERE. However i think your flop and turn play was fine, just got wreckless towards the end.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-04-2005, 10:57 PM

So you protected middle pair no kicker with some ugly backdoor straight draws? Then you cap when you make two pair -- despite the fact that JT, a VERY common holding, just made its straight?

I don't like your flop play. I hate your turn play. If you bet the river, you must fold to the raise.

Not to be too harsh, but there's a reason you can't beat this game.

Rob
Old 01-04-2005, 11:00 PM

Fold the flop. Your reverse implied odds are terrible, as this hand clearly demonstrates. If you make 2 pair, you're vulnerable to higher 2 pairs, and it also completes a straight for any JT, T7, or 75 in the hand. On Pacific, I would expect hands like this a signficant percentage of the time. One of the ways for you to catch your backdoor straight puts you at the bottom end of a Q-high straight...any K beats you. None of your straight outs are to the nut straight.

The only outs I'm counting as clean are the 2 outs to your 9, then adding 2 more for your potentially counterfeited 8 outs and the backdoor straight possibilities. That's 4 outs in a 6 SB pot...even if you do have the best hand right there, I'd rather put my chips in when my chances are better to remain the best hand.

If you really have your heart set on continuing, I suppose that raising is preferable to calling. But you have to fold to the c/3-bet representing a set, which utterly kills your hand's drawing potential.

The same holds true on the turn, and betting on the river was just silly.