Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2005, 11:02 PM

Default Chill out with your Dill out. AJs

Villain had reasonable pfr/vpip numbers and was a 2.4 for postflop aggression. I think I made one mistake on this hand. Let me know what you think.

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button caps</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (9 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (10.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12.50 BB
Old 01-03-2005, 11:05 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Re: Chill out with your Dill out. AJs

I think that's fine. you could've also bet and 3-bet the flop or check called the flop and check raised the turn
Old 01-03-2005, 11:09 PM

What's the over-under on how many posts we can get with this thread's title idea? I'd say 5, but any attempts to get the over will be reaching and we'll have some bad puns.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:10 PM

I think its ok, do you think the mistake was on the river?
Old 01-03-2005, 11:11 PM

What private joker doesn't like private jokes?

So lame, yet I felt like it had to be said.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What private joker doesn't like private jokes?

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean? I wasn't being sarcastic. I'm the one who wrote the "hang out with my wang out" post. If anything I'm needlessly extending the private joke.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:39 PM

Default RESULTS

I lost to AQo.

Upon further reflection, I don't think I misplayed it either. Just a little brain fart.
Old 01-04-2005, 01:17 AM

well played
Old 01-04-2005, 01:49 AM

I'm feeling frisky so chime in that I'm thinking the flop check-raise is not so hot versus an opponent of reasonable vpip/pfr standards.

What hands is it good against? I'd call down with AQ/AK (so no folding equity and you are a small dog with some reverse imnplied odds if you catch on the 2 aces), I'd 3-bet/wait for turn AT (you are a mild dog with some reverse implied odds), I'd 3-bet/wait for turn with an overpair (mild dog to these hands) or TT/77 (a decent favorite over you)

If he caps KQs your flop raise is better, and there is some thin equity against 99 or 88, but you don't have much implied odds (an A would seem to kill some action, depending on the opponent) against these few hands you are a mild favorite over.

In position this hand changes dramatically, but overall I don't think you have an edge on this flop (unless he is a far more liberal capper than I present, which is possible given the blind steal nature of the preflop actions and the fact I have no clue how the 15 plays), have some revese implied odds with the A outs, have little folding equity against a better hand (or before the river with the few worse ahnds that have the proper odds to call) and stand to get worked a good bit of the time when behind and can't grab a free card or otherwise use your position to outplay him. An aggro guy will 3-bet/smoothcall pop the turn with hands over which have a small egde (ie you won't scare him/slow him down) but isn't really going to get out of line with many (if any) hands you are a favorite against. So this opponent essentially charges you the most.

In addition, against an aggro player you can neutralize the positional disadvantage by retaining the check-raise option. Maybe you get multiple bets in on a turn diamond, and if you turn and ace and he checks, he pays you off. And even the unlikely turn check by this aggro guy card on a ragged turn card is most likely a coup (free card) for you with your likely worse hand (unless he is a far more liberal capper than I am envisioning).

Against a weak-tight the check-raise and/or wait to the turn type of move is much better, but not necessarily against this type of fellow.

Meh
Old 01-04-2005, 01:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
(unless he is a far more liberal capper than I present, which is possible given the blind steal nature of the preflop actions

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this needs to be given more consideration, but great thoughts as usual.