Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2004, 12:28 PM

Default Vegas Low Limit Recommendations

I am heading to Vegas around Christmas and need some recommendations on a good low limit Hold 'em game.

Player profile: fairly tight, been playing about a year. I play live games only at the 2-4 level, possibly 3-6. During this trip, I want to play for 30% to make money, 40% to socialize/be entertained, and about 30% to challenge myself with disciplined, good poker making decisions.

I have played downtown at Horseshoe before, and liked their 2-4 game. While there I'm thinking of checking out Plaza. Any other suggestions downtown? What about the Strip, any game suggestions to match my profile?

Also, slightly off-topic, but bonus points if you can recommend any fun and safe gay niteclubs. Am I the only gay poker player in existence? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-17-2004, 04:18 PM

Default Re: Vegas Low Limit Recommendations

AllVegasPoker.com should have all the information you are looking for with room and player reviews.
Old 12-17-2004, 04:46 PM

I played a few 2/4 and 3/6 games there and didn't find any to be too difficult, although I lost money in my short stay. I agree that the Shoe was pretty easy. For obvious reasons it attracted many of the "TV crowd" playing for the first time. The Gold Nugget 2/4 had an endearing drunk guy who was throwing $4 tokes at each new dealer who sat down, but obviously your results may vary. The Imperial Palace 2/4 wasn't too tough; go at about 1 pm and play innocent and you might be able to catch a seat with a few of the students from the 11 am lessons! Also they comp at $3/hour which is superb, so even if your short-term results are as bad as mine, at least you'll eat well. Mirage 3/6 I started at a tightish table, but they were very accomodating with a table change. Harrahs 2/4 was pretty soft in the morning.

This is just one man's observations but I hope it helps.
Old 12-18-2004, 12:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
AllVegasPoker.com should have all the information you are looking for with room and player reviews.

[/ QUOTE ]

AWESOME site! Thanks!
Old 12-18-2004, 12:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, slightly off-topic, but bonus points if you can recommend any fun and safe gay niteclubs. Am I the only gay poker player in existence?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes. Yes you are.
Old 12-18-2004, 12:57 AM

the excalibur has a 1-3 spread limit game that's crazy easy.
Old 12-18-2004, 01:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Am I the only gay poker player in existence?

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 12-18-2004, 02:37 AM

the Aladdin's room is really an up-and-coming thing in Vegas for low limit players. They have great service, good staff/dealers, and soft games. Competition is only slightly tougher than Excalibur, but you won't have to deal with the dirty tables/chips, or the hards of old people. The 1-2 blinds NL$100 game is particularly good. They spread twice daily NL tourneys as well, good structure.

Definitely recommend it.
Old 12-18-2004, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, slightly off-topic, but bonus points if you can recommend any fun and safe gay niteclubs. Am I the only gay poker player in existence?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes. Yes you are.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool! I hope that gives me a slight edge, some way [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Hey folks thanks for all the good tips and recommendations so far.
Old 12-20-2004, 05:54 AM

One of my new personal favorites for low limit games is Harrahs. You can't beat the room's television setup for watching ballgames while playing poker (not that someone should be doing this -- but come on -- a lot of times the football game on tv is better than the poker action).

The Harrahs room is enclosed, and offers table side food service from a pretty good menu. They also serve real Red Bull in cans. This is a big selling point for me.

Ballys also has a relatively new poker room with some consistently really terrible players.