Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2004, 01:19 AM

Default Push or just wait until the money?

Seat 1 (450 chips)
seat 2 (approx 10k chips)
SB) 1400 (after blind)
ME (BB) 1200 (after blind)
200/400 blind, sb is heading for the blinds next hand and will be out shortly. Folded to small blind who called. I saw pocket tens. I figured he'd call with most aces. If he calls, i am probably a favorite. If I double up I am basically a sure thing for second with an outside shot to win first. If i fold, i am guranteed third but second is iffy.
Comments?
Old 12-31-2004, 01:22 AM

Default Re: Push or just wait until the money?

Seat 1 has enough chips to make a run at it, I think you have to push here and play for 1st place.
Old 12-31-2004, 01:29 AM

I misentered the info, he had 250 not 450. Sorry about that.
Old 12-31-2004, 02:44 AM

I would definately go all in. I have learned that while on the bubble, I can't hope that short stacks will just get knocked out. Poor play by my large stack opponents and luck by the SS will often double him/her up and because the Blinds are so big, you might end up being screwed over. TT is an excellent hand. I'd push for sure.
Old 12-31-2004, 02:50 AM

I agree, I lost a ton of money when I used to think "I know this guy can't live through SB even if he get's lucky once. He doubles up twice, I've folded the best hand I've seen in 30 minutes, and I'm out in 4th. Better to go out firing a bullet is my thought.
Old 12-31-2004, 06:32 AM

With higher payouts for 1st and 2nd, you gotta play this. I think if he's a bad player that will call with a lot of hands, you have a better than outside chance of first. He might have AK and beat you, but playing for 3rd just sucks, unless 2 people have mountains, while you and one other guy have small stacks. Push and go for 1st!
Old 12-31-2004, 10:44 AM

I'm not sure I agree with the general consensus to push here. It would depend a little bit on the read I had on SB. Has this player been just completing the SB a lot? Does this player usually push or raise? If it is the latter, I'd be a little leery that the completion by the small blind was a trap.

Even if it wasn't, the small stack is all in for sure next hand. More important, the big stack has 10K in chips, which is going to make it very difficult for you to make a run for first in this one. If you were closer to the big stack, I would probably say push (and, frankly, I'm usually pushing so fast and with so little thought on the bubble when I get a hand like TT that I may push here anyway). I think you're best play, however, is to just check along and see what develops on the flop. If the small blind is the type of player who has been just completing the blind a lot, he's not likely to bet on the flop unless he hits something, and you can use that info to make your flop decision. If he is an aggressive player who has been pushing a lot, he probably would not have just completed the blind without a pretty good hand, and you can use that info as well. Play on the flop will not be easy, and will require some judgement, but I do not think you should be afraid to lay these down here if you are beat. You will have a cheap shot at getting into the money next hand, and I think you should take it. Why risk chips here when you have a 50% chance (at least - someone else may wake up with a hand) at getting into the money next hand. Further, by checking you may flop an overpair or a set and be a lot more confident about getting your chips in with the best of it.

I generally adhere to the "play for first settle for fourth" maxim, but, like any rule, I think it has exceptions and I think it can be overused. I think this case falls under a general exception characterized by the presence of a very large stack at the table relative to yours, making first unlikely, and a stack about to be blinded out, making ITM very likely.
Old 12-31-2004, 11:22 AM

Push. Remember, the SB is in the same spot you are.

He likely called with a decent hand because he didn't want to get into a war with you with the short stack on life support.

I don't see this as a trap since people will check behind 99% of the time here.

If you check, he can lead out and bet on the flop. If there's an overcard to your tens, you are going to be in a tough spot. Better to just end it here.

This is such a clear push that I'm starting to think it might be a good play with any 2 cards depending on your read of the SB.
Old 12-31-2004, 11:36 AM

Push.
Old 12-31-2004, 01:44 PM

I did push, and like i thought he had an ace. He quickly called with aq and knocked me out. I think i played it fine, just the cards didnt fall in my favor.