Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2004, 03:56 PM

Default Question to B&M players re. New Year\'s Eve

Are you going to play on New Year's Eve?

I can't, but if you do I would like to read what you find regarding this.

Mike Caro has written about playing New Year's Eve 1984-1985 in Southern California. He said the game was great during the evening, but that the number of tables diminished slowly as midnight approached. After a brief pause to mark the New Year, people resumed playing poker.

However, the game tightened up. He believes there was the collective effect of a large percentage of players deciding to leave their bad play behind in the past year and resolving to play better in the year ahead. It may not have lasted long, but it affected play for awhile.

He was trying to make the point that if your opponents change the way they have been playing, you'll need to adjust your play.

<font color="red">I'm just curious to learn if anyone encounters this "group resolve" phenomenon playing past midnight on New Year's Eve.</font>

So watch out for it, and please report back.
Old 12-27-2004, 04:05 PM

Default Re: Question to B&M players re. New Year\'s Eve

I think people will vow to watch more and more WPT events and play any 2 cards to win huge pots. I wish i could play but I have to be to work for mandatory OT at 3am!
Old 12-27-2004, 04:16 PM

that might last until the first time they get KTo and cold call an UTG raise preflop.

ive played on new year's eve and the games were as good as ever.
Old 12-27-2004, 04:18 PM

If they do tihgten up, it will last about 20 mins
Old 12-27-2004, 05:04 PM

Did Mike Caro really write this? I find that incredibly hard to believe and was just a stroke of variance...in fact the sound of it makes me think we're approaching 4/1 not 1/1.
Old 12-27-2004, 05:54 PM

AviD:

Caro's Fundamental Secrets of Winning Poker
pages 38 - 40

I type too slowly to bother with a long quote, but it's there. (No scanner)
Also, I trust Mike's ability to evaluate what was happening. I wouldn't just chalk it up to variance. He's the "Mad Genius," and he was there.
Old 12-27-2004, 06:01 PM

I was playing in the 10-20 at the Taj last year New Years Eve and after midnight, and did not find this phenomenon to be true at all. I then moved over to the Borgata and played in their 6-12 game, which proved to be a (beautiful) drunken chip-spewing orgy. I saw no discernible effect of the new year or any noticeable tightening of play at the table...or maybe my not noticing was due to the contact-high or the alcohol fumes emanated by others at the table...
Old 12-27-2004, 09:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Mike Caro has written about playing New Year's Eve 1984-1985 in Southern California. He said the game was great during the evening, but that the number of tables diminished slowly as midnight approached. After a brief pause to mark the New Year, people resumed playing poker.

However, the game tightened up. He believes there was the collective effect of a large percentage of players deciding to leave their bad play behind in the past year and resolving to play better in the year ahead. It may not have lasted long, but it affected play for awhile.

He was trying to make the point that if your opponents change the way they have been playing, you'll need to adjust your play.

<font color="red">I'm just curious to learn if anyone encounters this "group resolve" phenomenon playing past midnight on New Year's Eve.</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

While I don't doubt Crazy Mike's recount of this particular New Year's Eve, keep in mind that this was 1984-85. The current poker craze has populated the table with enough fish that I don't think Armageddon would stop them from coldcalling 3 bets on the flop with a gutshot straight draw.

I plan to play on New Year's Eve and don't think that Atlantic City will be any less fishy than normal.
Old 12-28-2004, 02:18 AM

Caro did write that. I have played on New Year's Eve in the past, and the games were still plenty good.
Old 12-28-2004, 02:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
that might last until the first time they get KTo and cold call an UTG raise preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

That will never stop happening...those are "good cards".