Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2004, 04:57 PM

Default Non-standard play -- isolating a maniac with QTo.

Comments? Villain is 100% VPIP, 94% PFR and plays every hand to the river. Has called down with Q-high against me on numerous occasions. Will bet with hands that don't hit the flop, but turns into a calling station against aggression.

SB in this hand is loose-aggressive preflop, passive postflop. Will fold when the board does not hit him.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.

Flop: (10 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, MP1 calls.

Turn: (7 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>...
Old 12-27-2004, 05:10 PM

Default Re: Non-standard play -- isolating a maniac with QTo.

check the turn, you have zero fold equity here and don't want to face a check-raise bluff. you may get a free showdown anyway or induce a bluff.

flop raise is good with your reads.. you want a free street somewhere and you want to encourage SB to fold.

incidentally, is a LRR common from the villian? 94% PFR doesn't leave much room to do anything but raise the first time he gets to act. i wonder if his limps or LRR mean something.
Old 12-27-2004, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i wonder if his limps or LRR mean something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that I've seen. He's been hammered for about 25BB in the last 3 hands, and is just slowing down a bit.

Rob
Old 12-27-2004, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you have zero fold equity here

[/ QUOTE ]
Why do I care about folding equity when my hand is likely the best, and has outs to a hand he definitely won't beat?

Rob
Old 12-27-2004, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Why do I care about folding equity when my hand is likely the best, and has outs to a hand he definitely won't beat?

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

deleted a poor response. yeah, i see what's going on. if he's passive.. i can dig it.
Old 12-27-2004, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

b/c he could check-raise bluff you or check-raise a pair here. it also encourages him to bet the river. this allows you to raise him when you catch and disallows him to check-raise the river if he catches there.

well, ok, so the check-raise bluff doesn't matter I guess if you'll call down anyway. i just want to keep it cheap when my edge is closer to 50/50. if he is truly that passive, then a bet and free showdown is alright i guess. its a bit hard to say without seeing him in action. i'm used to aggressive postflop maniacs [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think my description is flawed. From my limited sample size with him, he'll bet when he has nothing but won't 3-bet or checkraise nothing. He'll call down with nothing, but bet again when he has something.

For example, Q4o or 7 high are very possible holdings for him after he plays the flop this way. He hasn't had a pair yet after playing the flop this way.

Rob
Old 12-27-2004, 05:43 PM

Preflop: Hero is Button with QTo.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Hero raises

Why don't we just stop right here and send it to the muck.

Brad
Old 12-27-2004, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop: Hero is Button with QTo.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Hero raises

Why don't we just stop right here and send it to the muck.

Brad

[/ QUOTE ]

Brad,

What's the worst that you're isolating a very bad player with here? He's 100% VPIP. You've got the button, and no one else is in the pot. QT is good here. Against a random hand and a player you play better than postflop, you've got a 57/43 edge and dead money in the pot. What else do you want? An invitation with a note to RSVP?

Rob
Old 12-27-2004, 06:07 PM

I misread the post. I thought that the maniac open raised it...

Hands like this do have value IMO. Your play seems fine to me, and you have lots of ways out if you are beat. If you only had a gutshot for example, I would probably check the turn to induce a bluff.

Brad
Old 12-27-2004, 06:50 PM

The turn card is a great card to bet - perfect semibluff opportunity when you've shown so much aggression so far and pick up the double gutshot on the turn. If the turn were a blank I'd probably check it through and call a river bet unimproved.