Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2004, 01:15 PM

Default 7 Stud High - Too weak heads-up?

Paradise - $1/$2 7-Card Stud - $0.25 Ante.

Lots of times I have to wait for the 7 Stud/8 game I want to play so I thought I’d play 7 Stud High. Was this too weak for heads-up?

I had pretty much just sat down so no read on the players.

3rd Street (1.5 SB) - Hero is Seat 6 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (6 players).

Seat 1: X X A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Seat 3: X X K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Seat 5: X X A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Seat 7: X X 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Seat 8: X X J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Action: Seat 7 brings-in ($0.50), Seat 8 calls, Seat 1 folds, Seat 3 folds, Seat 5 folds, Hero raises to $1, Seat 7 folds, Seat 8 calls.

4th Street (4 SB) - Hero catches J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 players).

Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Seat 8: X X J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Action: Hero bets, Seat 8 raises, Hero calls.

5th Street (4 BB) - Hero catches A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 players).

Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Seat 8: X X J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Action: Hero checks, Seat 8 checks.

6th Street (4 BB) - Hero catches 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players).

Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Seat 8: X X J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Action: Hero bets, Seat 8 calls.

7th Street (6 BB) - Hero catches 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 players).

Hero checks, Seat 8 checks.

Any comments appreciated.

TIA,
greenage
Old 12-26-2004, 01:30 PM

Default Re: 7 Stud High - Too weak heads-up?

I'm not sure I understand. You completed on third and got called by a Jack. What are you worried about? Too weak, if he has a blank for a kicker your a 2-1 fav. assuming he has Jacks. The problem with this hand is you played the other streets far too meekly.

The only hand that most players are going to have here thats ahead of you is (J3)J3. Most players if they're slowplaying (AA)J or (KK)J are going to either reraise on third on wait til fifth to raise you for a big bet. Of course there are exceptions but this usually is the case. If he has this hand your only a 55-45 dog. But many times it will just be dry jacks. That is why your play is to reraise fourth and bet out the entire way unless you encounter resistance. The only debatable part of this hand is to bet the river or not. I recommend betting.

Mike Emery
Old 12-26-2004, 02:39 PM

you should definitely bet when your ace hits because of the scare factor.
Old 12-26-2004, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Paradise - $1/$2 7-Card Stud - $0.25 Ante.

Lots of times I have to wait for the 7 Stud/8 game I want to play so I thought I’d play 7 Stud High. Was this too weak for heads-up?

I had pretty much just sat down so no read on the players.

3rd Street (1.5 SB) - Hero is Seat 6 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (6 players).

Seat 1: X X A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Seat 3: X X K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Seat 5: X X A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Seat 7: X X 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Seat 8: X X J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Action: Seat 7 brings-in ($0.50), Seat 8 calls, Seat 1 folds, Seat 3 folds, Seat 5 folds, Hero raises to $1, <font color="blue"> good raise </font> Seat 7 folds, Seat 8 calls.

4th Street (4 SB) - Hero catches J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 players).

Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Seat 8: X X J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Action: Hero bets, Seat 8 raises, Hero calls. <font color="blue"> Im likely to reraise here </font>

5th Street (4 BB) - Hero catches A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 players).

Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Seat 8: X X J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Action: Hero checks <font color="blue"> I wouldnt check here you dont want to give him a free shot </font> , Seat 8 checks.

6th Street (4 BB) - Hero catches 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players).

Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Seat 8: X X J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Action: Hero bets, Seat 8 calls. <font color="blue"> this is How I would play it However if you think he will bluff the K then Check calling is OK too see pgs 124-125 SCSFAP</font>

7th Street (6 BB) - Hero catches 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 players).

Hero checks, Seat 8 checks.

Any comments appreciated. <font color="blue">read pages -93-93 SCSFAP and CPT 21 TTOP to help define your thinking here </font>

TIA,
greenage

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="blue"> Play Well and Prosper

-timmer
</font>
Old 12-26-2004, 03:39 PM

But the Aces are dead..

timmer
Old 12-26-2004, 04:51 PM

Hey Mike.

[ QUOTE ]
That is why your play is to reraise fourth and bet out the entire way unless you encounter resistance. The only debatable part of this hand is to bet the river or not. I recommend betting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, especially with me catching his door card on 4th I should have raised him back. On 5th I was frozen by the idea of a check-raise which I imagine I brought on myself by not re-raising 4th.

Because I played the hand so weakly up to 7th I think I should have bet again.

Thanks for the post.

greenage
Old 12-26-2004, 04:58 PM

Hi PoorLawyer.

[ QUOTE ]
you should definitely bet when your ace hits because of the scare factor.

[/ QUOTE ]

timmer mentioned in a later post that the Aces were dead but they both folded on 3rd and Mr. Jack may have forgotten or not noticed.

He put the brakes on though didn’t he.

Thanks for the reply.

greenage
Old 12-26-2004, 05:06 PM

Hi timmer,

[ QUOTE ]
this is How I would play it However if you think he will bluff the K then Check calling is OK too see pgs 124-125 SCSFAP

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
read pages -93-93 SCSFAP and CPT 21 TTOP to help define your thinking here

[/ QUOTE ]

I’ve made not of these sites and will look them up.

I’ll need to buy SCSFAP and retrieve TTOP from work. I’ve actually glanced at TTOP but pretty well ignored anything 7 Stud related at the time.

Thank you for the reply,
greenage
Old 12-26-2004, 05:11 PM

Default Results

Seat 8 had: [ Jc Td Jd 3h 7h Kc 2d ] (a pair of jacks)

It’s official, I played this hand like a weenie. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Thanks all for the replies,
geenage
Old 12-26-2004, 05:18 PM

I've read the other replies but not the results. I probably bet fifth street, but I don't think you commited any hideous sins on this hand. I think the river is very close. Against a habitual bluffer, though, it's a clear check.