Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2004, 10:27 PM

Default draw against super lag?

Villain is super-lag (putting money in 70% of the time and raising 12% preflop). The limp/reraise on the flop slowed me down and I never gave calling a thought on the turn-now I'm not so sure. His bet on the turn gives me almost 4-1 on the call and with his laggy stats I'm not even sure I'm behind at this point. I'm trying to figure out how to deal with this type of opponent and any help would be greatly appreciated.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (8 handed) converter

SB ($203.90)
BB ($62.80)
UTG ($292.90)
UTG+1 ($200)
MP1 ($220.20)
MP2 ($120.65)
Hero ($139.05)
Button ($177.25)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, Hero calls $2, Button calls $2, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($8) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $2</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $8</font>, Button calls $8, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $14</font>, Hero calls $6, Button folds.

Turn: ($44) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $16</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $60

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
No showdown. SB wins $60. </font>
Old 12-24-2004, 05:47 AM

Default Re: draw against super lag?

[ QUOTE ]

Hero ($139.05)
Hero is CO with 6, 5.
Hero calls $2

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope I make my point above... If you want to play your drawing hands please boot up to the max, to allow yourself to get the most value possible when you hit your draw.

In terms of the hand...

[ QUOTE ]
Turn: ($44) K (2 players)
SB bets $16, Hero folds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it was a bad fold. I dont think you were ahead, (would this lag 3bet with worse than mid pair on the flop???) but you have the odds to continue. Although it's possible Villain had 86, your 1 card OESD is most likely live, giving you 8 outs. Your two pair / trips might be good, but even ignoring them...

He bet 16 into a pot of 44, so you had about 4:1 on your call. You'll hit 8/46, so you need about 4.75:1 immediate odds, or the 4:1 coupled with implied odds. If you're able to extract an additional 10 dollars when you hit, it's break even. So...

With a pot of 76 on the river, and opponent's stack covering you with 139 - 2 - 16 - 14, so 107 left, it's fairly possible to even bet like half pot and expect to be paid, especially vs a loosey.

It's also possible you have ~5 more outs for two pair / trips where it might go check - check, or being loose, bet a worse hand for value...

Anyways, bad fold, but you said it yourself with your thoughts. Also, buy in max to get full value from draws. And if you're ahead of this opponent with a pair of 5s at this point in the hand, I need to find that Stars table.
Old 12-24-2004, 12:46 PM

Default Re: draw against super lag?

in addition to what bobbos said (buy in for more, call turn) you need to flat call this flop. raising with a draw is dangerous vs a lag because they will reraise with a wider range of hands than normal, and you hate getting reraised here because the pot/stack ratio gets really messed up. also you have very little fold equity vs a super lag, who will call your raise with no pair usually. plus, calling is better than normal vs lags because you are pretty confident he will pay you off a decent amount of the time if you hit.