Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2004, 04:53 PM

Default 86s big blind hand. SOP?

I am not going to put any thoughts in here yet. I am wondering if this is standard. Game as been pretty typical, loose and moderately aggro.

villian (MP1) is VPIP 50, pfr 11, AF total .67
no note on SB

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $15.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, SB calls, Hero calls, UTG calls, UTG+2 calls.

Flop: (11 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, SB calls.

Turn: (8.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, SB folds.

River: (10.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets

<font color="black">comments? </font>
Old 12-22-2004, 05:12 PM

Default Re: 86s big blind hand. SOP?

Looks good to me.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:52 PM

I don't like this hand preflop. After that, I think you played it well.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:12 PM

I really like the check-raise on the flop. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 12-22-2004, 10:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
don't like this hand preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is one of the parts of this game that can be tough. I am getting 5:1 and likely 7:1 assuming there is no reraise from the limpers. What odds do you think are needed to make this call preflop? I think that a suited one gapper is bordeline but in this game you can get run over easily and there can be consequences beyond this hand.

I think the numbers of the preflop raiser come into play here. The guy is pretty loose passive and reading his hand is not much of a challenge thereby making postflop decisions much easier.
Old 12-23-2004, 12:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
don't like this hand preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is one of the parts of this game that can be tough. I am getting 5:1 and likely 7:1 assuming there is no reraise from the limpers. What odds do you think are needed to make this call preflop? I think that a suited one gapper is bordeline but in this game you can get run over easily and there can be consequences beyond this hand.

I think the numbers of the preflop raiser come into play here. The guy is pretty loose passive and reading his hand is not much of a challenge thereby making postflop decisions much easier.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, preflop he's certainly loose aggressive, but you're right that he's passive after that. The problem with your hand is that you have a weak drawing hand in early position, which makes it impossible to get a free card on later streets if you actually flop your draw, etc.

I'm not sure if your argument about not getting run down holds up in this particular situation. Sure, people will notice that you fold more preflop than the loosies, but does this mean that they'll assume that your weak? Hardly. That will only happen if you let yourself get run over postflop. And if they do make the mistake of assuming you're weak just because you fold these kind of hands preflop.....well, I'm sure you can teach them an expensive lesson on later streets.
Old 12-23-2004, 01:04 AM

After mp1 calls my flop CR and turn bet it is obvious he is holding overcards given his stats and the action. Anyone think a check to induce a bluff is better here on the river?
Old 12-23-2004, 02:52 AM

2 things. First, a lot of these bad players will call you with AK/AQ on the river. Second, its a fine play preflop. I find that people who play 50% of the hands preflop play especially badly and predictably after the flop. You know where you would stand if an ace came on the river.
Old 12-23-2004, 07:06 AM

Nightwish...where are you coming from saying that his preflop play is bad? He's in the BB getting 9-1 immediate odds with 86s. I call here every time without a second thought. Folding preflop has to be wrong....doesn't it? Or am I taking crazy pills?

I think it was well played, and I agree with the river bet, as I think it is the best way to get money out of overcards.

Will
Old 12-23-2004, 05:14 PM

Default Results and thoughts

I thought about leading into the preflop raiser with my top pair and gut draw but realized that the turn would be much more difficult to play if he raised even if he cleared out the field. When there is no 3bet to my flop CR I am pretty certain to be in the lead and even more certain when he doesn't raise the turn. On the river I thought about trying to get him to bluff with his AK as it would be very unlikely for him to call a river bet. But, I concluded that he might not bet at it and he did indeed call with his AK. Thanks for the responses.