Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2004, 01:35 AM

Default TenEightOffsuit

There was just a post in the Stud forum which said, and I quote, "Andy B is really smart about poker...." With this in mind, I submit the following:

$40/80 home game. The game is half stud/8 and half hold'em, and I am definitely there for the former. The game is now five-handed: me, an excellent player, two solid players, and a live one.

The excellent player is under the gun and raises. It is folded to me in the big blind. I have T8o. Naturally, I welcome any opportunity to play a weak hand heads-up out of position against the one player in the game I'm worried about, so I call. The flop is AJ8r. I chicken call. Turn pairs the Eight, which I think also put a two-flush on board. I check and he checks. River is a Queen. I check....
Old 12-19-2004, 01:42 AM

Default Re: TenEightOffsuit

Totally off topic here, I have been looking for a home game in the Twin Cities area at a decent limit. Can you give me any details about this game?
Old 12-19-2004, 01:46 AM

check-Riase the turn, fold preflop, fold the flop.
Dave
Old 12-19-2004, 02:02 AM

I'd fold it pre-flop, but since you played it I think you did fine unitl the river. I'd bet here unless you have some reason to believe your opponent will bet the river (considering how the hand went, it seems unlikely that he would).
Old 12-19-2004, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
check-Riase the turn

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless his opponent doesn't bet.
Old 12-19-2004, 03:48 PM

Bet the turn the excellent player might raise you with an ace as the board now containing a spade draw and multiple straight draws makes it look like you're trying to steal with a semibluff.

I think I'd fold PF though if that's the question.

I like your river check I doubt he's gonna resist betting KQ on the river and I bet there's a decent chance he folds JJ if you bet the river yourself.
Old 12-19-2004, 04:35 PM

id fold preflop, but that said i would lead at the turn. A good player may raise and would probably call with Ace High
Old 12-19-2004, 05:04 PM

lead the turn?
Old 12-19-2004, 05:25 PM

I like the lead on the turn. If good player has a modest hand, he might call you down, but will fold to a check-raise. This is especially true if he reads you as a player who prefers stud (you possibly are a little cautious and not prone to moves, good player will fold less if he thinks you are wild ). Good players are also suspicious of a turn bet out when the board pairs, it looks like a move, so he might raise you. Finally, later in the game, you might bet out when the board pairs as a bluff.
Old 12-19-2004, 05:36 PM

Default Results here

Opponent does come in for a raise somewhat liberally, so I call from the blind somewhat liberally. Well, I call from the blind somewhat liberally anyway. If this were a full game with the same opponent, I would definitely muck pre-flop. I probably should have mucked anyway, but I think it's at least close.

I thought the flop call was also debatable. I'm getting 5+:1, and again I think it's at least close.

I thought that there was a good chance that I could get two bets in on the turn. You're right that leading the turn is the best way to get three bets in if he actually has something, but I think he just might lay down, say, AK to a three-bet. I'm not three-betting the turn without a very strong hand, and he knows this. He's capable of some pretty tough folds.

I figured that there was an excellent chance that the Queen hit him, or that he might bet even if it didn't. If he didn't have enough to bet the river, there was a pretty good chance he wouldn't call, either. He bet, I raised, he grumbled, "I couldn't just let it go, could I?" He finally called, and my hand was good.