Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2004, 12:13 AM

Default My Big Leak - Not Value Betting the River

This is my third whiffed induced bluff in the past 15 minutes. BB is a LAG who cannot fold on the river. I'm going to sit in the corner and hit myself over the head with page 193 of SSH right now.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, MP2 folds.

Turn: (4.25 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

River: (6.25 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 6.25 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
BB has 9d Tc (one pair, jacks).
Hero has Ks Qc (two pair, kings and jacks).
Outcome: Hero wins 6.25 BB. </font>
Old 12-22-2004, 12:26 AM

Default Re: My Big Leak - Not Value Betting the River

I don't know, I suppose you might have missed a bet here, but I would have checked myself. If you bet and were raised would you have folded on the river? I know I wouldn't have against a LAG, so it would have just cost me an extra bet if I did bet. I like the check myself.
Old 12-22-2004, 12:36 AM

If you don't think that's bad (which it is), try these on for size:

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 folds, Button calls.

Turn: (5.75 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

River: (7.75 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

Final Pot: 7.75 BB

Hero has Jd Kd (two pair, kings and jacks).
Button has Jh As (one pair, jacks).
Outcome: Hero wins 7.75 BB. </font>

-------------------

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (7 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>.

Flop: (5.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP2 calls.

Turn: (5.75 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls.

River: (7.75 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 checks.

Final Pot: 7.75 BB

Hero has Qd Qc (one pair, queens).
MP2 has 9c 9h (one pair, nines).
Outcome: Hero wins 7.75 BB. </font>
Old 12-22-2004, 12:37 AM

KJs hand is by far the worst.
Old 12-22-2004, 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
KJs hand is by far the worst.

[/ QUOTE ]

I groaned right after I hit the check button.

What's REALLY bad about this particular hand is that I had just checkraised this opponent in the previous hand.

I think it's because I just began 3-tabling. On a 1024x768 screen. In the snow. Uphill. Both ways.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:16 AM

How can you think missing a value bet when the J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] hits is that bad? It completes a flush and gives a chance for 3rd pair to now be trips. I check this every time and feel lucky when I take down the pot.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How can you think missing a value bet when the J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] hits is that bad? It completes a flush and gives a chance for 3rd pair to now be trips. I check this every time and feel lucky when I take down the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Against a good player you're absolutely correct. But the opponent is a LAG who will showdown anything on the river. In fact, I'd already seen him showdown/call 8-high in the current orbit.

Unless I'm misreading SSHE's section on value betting the river, I think I'm missing out here.
Old 12-22-2004, 04:58 PM

Yes when the Ace came on the turn and the LAG didn't raise and didn't come out betting on the river you could probably assume that the draw he was on didn't hit, so you have the best hand so bet that river for value. I've even gotten reraised on the river in situations like this by LAGs, hoping to fold me, even though they have crap.
Old 12-22-2004, 05:16 PM

I just realized that I posted the wrong hand for the top message...this wasn't my 3rd whiffed induced bet at all. This was just one of many missed value bets from last night. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I'll just save that other hand for a rainy day. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

edit: I think I've posted this before, but I'm seeing an abnormally high number of bluff raises on the river these days at party $0.5/$1.
Old 12-22-2004, 10:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
edit: I think I've posted this before, but I'm seeing an abnormally high number of bluff raises on the river these days at party $0.5/$1.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can relate. A few days ago I rivered a straight in a big multiway pot. The aggressor throughout the whole hand (who turned out to have flopped top set) is in the seat to my immediate left, so I c/r the river and get an extra bet out of everyone. For some reason this sends him into an uncontrollable rage, and he starts calling every PFR I make regardless of what he's holding, desperately trying to put a beat on me, and checkraising every river in an attempt to make me fold, resulting in [censored] like this:

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. UTG posts a blind of $0.5.
UTG (poster) checks, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB calls, UTG folds, MP1 calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, MP1 folds.

River: (7.25 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11.25 BB

Results not in white below:
BB has Jd Qd (one pair, threes).
Hero has Kd Kc (two pair, kings and threes).
Outcome: Hero wins 11.25 BB.

I tell you the guy was worth his weight in gold. A few orbits later we go headsup again, he raises the river and I three-bet with JJ on a Q-high board. He calls and shows king-high (God only knows why he even called). He left the table after that [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

In a more general sense I have seen more weak players than usual raising rivers with nothing to try and take pots of late, don't know if that's mere coincidence. It always seems to be in the most misguided of places, though, like when the pot's about 20BB and I am clearly not folding for one more lousy bet...