Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2004, 02:49 AM

Default how do guys handle beats like these........

i was at borgata playing 10/20. very loose table, every hand has at least 6-7 callers preflop.
i came across a hand early with pocket 55. i limped in UTG and about 7 callers. flop comes 5/6/3. i bet out 10 and get called by 4 and button raises. i call and 2 callers fold and the other 2 calls. turn comes an A and i bet out again and callers fold and button raises again and i reraise him, he calls. river comes another 6 which gives me boat 5s over 6s. i bet he raises and i call. he flips over A/6. boat 6s over aces. i get runner runnered.
another one, i hold 6/7 spades in the BB. 4 call and cutoff raises and and SB call andd i call and so do the 4 limpers. flop comes 6/8/9 rainbow. SB bets outs i raise limpers fold and cutoff 3bets and SB caps and i call. turn is a 6 and now im feeling ok with my trips. SB bets i raise cutoff raises again SB call and i call. river comes an 8 and SB bets i call and cutoff calls. cutoff has AA and SB has 8/9. i get busted again on the river with a higher boat.
there are a few other hands very similar to these 2 with K hi flush vs A high flush (of course i was the one holding K flush) and a lot of hands with top pair but slightly worse kicker.
to top it off, i got up to change seat my seat and some1 new sat down in my original seat and he was hitting flushes, boats, straights, trips within the next 10-15 hands!!
i have never experienced anything with beats like this before in one sitting. i felt sick. how do you guys react and get over a tough day like this?
Old 12-10-2004, 03:01 AM

Default Re: how do guys handle beats like these........

re-raise hand 1 on the flop and on the river
raise the river in hand 2

deal with the beats, these are the players that make you money in the long run
Old 12-10-2004, 03:02 AM

By sucking it up and realizing its just variance.
Old 12-10-2004, 03:38 AM

Default RX to deal with bad beats

1st
Realize that anyone with a pulse after taking too many bad beats will NOT play their best game..... Be disciplined enough to leave the tables for 24 hours.

2nd
Realize that these players pay the rent. The next day after a poker session I count the my "luck factor". I calculate how many dollars I won thru suckouts and how many dollars I lost thru bad beats. After a couple of weeks data, you can see a pattern and realize what is "normal". If you're good, your bad beat amount will be greater than your suck out amount.

I find this info helps me see poker in a more objective light....
Old 12-10-2004, 03:39 AM

Welcome to the Forum, courtesy of JoeTall
Old 12-10-2004, 06:57 AM

Default Re: RX to deal with bad beats

[ QUOTE ]
Realize that these players pay the rent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Players that raise with TPTK, top two pair and overpairs pay my rent?

/mc
Old 12-10-2004, 07:14 AM

Default Re: RX to deal with bad beats

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Realize that these players pay the rent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Players that raise with TPTK, top two pair and overpairs pay my rent?

/mc

[/ QUOTE ]

excellent article. Should be a sticky.
Old 12-10-2004, 07:19 AM

I think I have a couple hands like this virtually every day.

It's not a big deal.
King-high flush will occasionally get beated by ace-high flushes.
Ace-high flushes will sometimes lose to straight-flushes.
It happens.

If losing this much money on a single hand or two like this IS a big deal to you then you should be playing at a lower-limit.

And you should be investigating whether you are playing your hands correctly and not just assuming that you did and happened to get unlucky.
Old 12-10-2004, 11:39 AM

Take a deep breath, step away from the table. Find a nice quiet corner (quiet, except for the ringing of slot machines that is), assume the lotus position and mediate for ten minutes on how Niechtze or Kierkegaard would assess the psyche of a player who is weak enough to chase you down like that.

If all that fails, hit the can, buy a hot dog, and get back in there and check-reraise those darned fish.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:20 PM

Default take it as a challenge

One of the biggest stumbling blocks for many good players aspiring to expert status is tilt. You see it almost every night and everyone knows the disastrous effects it can have on a bankroll.

Understand before you sit down that it's very likely that you will take some bad beats, and challenge yourself to continue playing your best poker in the face of a terrible suckout or even multiple suckouts.

So when that bad beat comes, just think "OK, I knew this would happen, now this is a test I need to pass if I'm ever going to become an expert. I'm going to continue to play tight aggressive poker. I will not chase with weak hands and I will not play scared either." Then do it.