Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2004, 01:07 AM

Default Neteller needing social security number verified?

My brother's trying to sign up for neteller, and they're telling him they're unable to verify his social security number. They say one way he can fix it is for him to give them his SSN. I know neteller is legit, but has anyone had to do this before?

Also, are there any new player bonuses for pokerstars? He's probably going to sign up there for sngs.
Old 12-08-2004, 01:26 AM

Default Re: Neteller needing social security number verified?

This sounds sketchy. I don't think I ever had to verify my SSN with them. He should ask them what other methods he can use to verify his identity, and bluff that he will use firepay if they require a SSN over the phone.

Freakin
Old 12-08-2004, 02:37 AM

No there aren't new player bonuses for PokerStars.
Old 12-08-2004, 02:46 AM

How old is your brother? Neteller has a verification process for their customers that checks their credit history before issuing a new account. If he's around 18 or so he probably has no credit history so they need to verify his SSN instead.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:16 AM

Follow up to my own post. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

In order to verify his SSN he will have to call the social security online operator at 1-800-772-1213. Then if they say that his number is indeed valid, he will have to visit the local social security office to get a third party verification form. While at the office, have them stamp and approve his form. After that he should fax the form to Neteller at 1-888-678-2128 and provide his Neteller ID number and have the fax say "Attn. Security" on the top. That should about do it.
Old 12-08-2004, 01:17 PM

Thanks for the reply. That's what they've been telling him. It just seems like a lot of stuff to ask for, and he was reluctant to give out his SSN. Would Firepay give him the same hassle? Or is there another service he should try? He's 21 BTW, he has a debit card but not a credit card. I guess he could try depositing with that, but it would probably just get rejected as most debit cards seem to.

I thought pokerstars was paying people something like $75 for new player signups, so people were sharing the wealth. So that's over?
Old 12-08-2004, 01:22 PM

Samething happened to my younger brother (18) he just went with firepay which worked fine.
Old 12-08-2004, 01:49 PM

I thought pokerstars was paying people something like $75 for new player signups, so people were sharing the wealth. So that's over?

you are confusing an affiliate kickback with a new deposit bonus.

also, i don't think stars allows affiliate kickbacks, but certainly that won't stop some people.

i have always been suprised that they don't offer a new account bonus. even 10% would be something. this lack of bonus makes it harder for affiliates to market the site. however, that may be their intention (to downplay affiliates), and this lack of bonus has clearly not seemed to hurt their numbers.

i'm gonna guess that they will tell us a site that concentrates on tourneys makes less than a site that concentrates on ring games, but i still think they should offer a small sign up bonus.

Old 12-08-2004, 02:25 PM

the only signup bonus I could find for stars was on pokerlistings.com and it was only for $25. I guess they're getting my rake now, but I couldn't find anything better, and didn't see any affiliates here offering rakeback, and I like their site, and I don't play there that much. (for instance, stars isn't mentioned anywhere on rakerebatereview.com.) so that's something.
Old 12-08-2004, 02:42 PM

Seems like you have to email pokerstars to become an affiliate and I'm sure their review process isn't as easy as Party's. I also took the $25.