Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2004, 01:43 PM

Default Live 1/2 NL hand... how would you play it...

Playing live $1/$2 NL with a $250 max buy-in. I have been at the table for about 2 hours and have a stack of just over $300. During the previous circuit UTG straddled and I took down a nice pot when my JJ flopped a set. Same UTG straddles again for $4 in this hand.

UTG+1 -- a friend of UTG and our villian -- raises to $20.

From watching villian for a couple of hours, he is not very original. He had joked about raising his buddies straddle prior to looking at his hand on the previous circuit and this circuit. Last time, he folded. From my observations generally, a pre-flop raise from him means a big Ace, a suited Ace or a medium to big pocket pair regardless of his position. When I sat down, villian had over $500 but lost a chunk since then. He still has me outstacked by a few chips.

Folded to me in CO. I find A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I call and everyone else folds. Heads up between me and the villian.

Pot is $47. Flop: A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Villian bets $50.

What's your play here?

Also, would you ever call this pre-flop raise?
Old 12-08-2004, 01:54 PM

Default Re: Live 1/2 NL hand... how would you play it...

no I would fold to the preflop raise, precisely for the reason that I don't expect my 6 kicker to be good.why do you call a 10xBB raise with A6? you don't have odds just with flush draw and two pair possibilities.

I don't think villain is on any draw. If you don't think he is on AA. call, push the turn. if you think hes on AA, fold.

That said, preflop call is horrible.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
no I would fold to the preflop raise, precisely for the reason that I don't expect my 6 kicker to be good.why do you call a 10xBB raise with A6? you don't have odds just with flush draw and two pair possibilities.

[/ QUOTE ]

A few things here. First, I don't consider this a 10xBB raise. When there is a live $4 straddle, the raise is really 5x the straddle (which acts like a third blind). How does everyone else look at a live staddle?

Second, I had played pretty tight and had a tight image.

Which brings me to the third point -- I called because I felt that I had a good read on this guy and thought I could outplay him after the flop. If there was an Ace on the board, he was unlikely to bet into me with a pocket pair. If an Ace flopped, he showed strength and all I had was a bad kicker, I would get away from the hand.

[ QUOTE ]

I don't think villain is on any draw. If you don't think he is on AA. call, push the turn. if you think hes on AA, fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think he is on a draw or AA. At this point, I put him on AK or AQ.

Why push the turn instead of pushing here?
Old 12-08-2004, 03:18 PM

if you push the flop, I think you'll only get called by a hand that beats you. he has similar stack to your's right?

if you smoothcall the flop, as long as turn doesn't show K/Q, he has a good chance of leading out again (and if he does, he will have committed almost 1/2 his stack, leaving him hard to fold if you push, and if he does fold, you gain an additional turn bet).