Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2004, 10:33 AM

Default TPGK - ?

First time at Stars.

Opponent seems average in the 4 rounds with him....in about 30% of hands, and raises a few of them.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (9 handed)

UTG+1 ($57.95)
MP1 ($45.35)
MP2 ($26.45)
MP3 ($141.05)
CO ($93.85)
Button ($13.75)
SB ($155.15)
BB ($117.80)
Hero ($104.20)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
Hero calls $1, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, <font color="CC3333">CO raises to $3</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, Hero calls $2.

<font color="red"> Is this a raise or fold hand UTG? I dont know?</font>

Flop: ($7.50) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets $3</font>, Hero calls $3.

<font color="red"> Lead out? Check raise? Check call to trap? Is this why I shouldnt play QKo UTG?</font>

Turn: ($13.50) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets $6</font>, Hero calls $6.

<font color="red"> My preflop actions put me in this spot, no?</font>

River: ($25.50) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>

<font color="red">Now what? </font>

I could use comments on any part of this hand.

Thanks,

Kwijibo
Old 12-06-2004, 10:57 AM

Default Re: TPGK - ?

Hi Kwijibo,

It really depends on the game structure but I'd probably dump KQo UTG in a full ring game.

Post flop you need to put a bet/raise in somewhere,

Perhaps a checkraise on the flop, especially when he underbets it like that. I probably raise to $7 or so. If you just calls then I would lead the turn with a 3/4 pot bet. If he reraises on the flop then I can let it go.

Rgds
Old 12-06-2004, 11:11 AM

Pre-flop: I would probbaly call more often than fold based on what you described. You have to defend your blind occasionally and this a pretty good hand to do so with when its only 2BB to go. A lot of other players may tell you to fold here.

Check/raise the flop another 8-9. Hes not betting very strongly, and you need to know where you are in this hand. If he comes way over the top of you its time to fold. If he calls you suspect he has AQh. Until you raise you have no idea what he has. By calling you communicate a flush or straight draw which you do not have and I suspect you are unlikely to bluff one if the right card falls.

Bet the turn strongly. Maybe then you will gain some info on where you stand.

At the river, I dont know what to tell you to do since you are lost by then my friend. If I arrived at that point in this state Id probably check-call up to 1/2 pot bet.

Check call every street is rarely the right strategy on any hand. You would have to know alot about this player and know he was willing to bet every street with TT-QQ to play it like this.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:22 AM

This is why I don't play that hand from EP, and when it's 2 bets back to me and it's gonna be a 2-way pot out of position I def would have mucked it. When the pot is raised I always consider two things (apart from my hole cards); what's my position and how many people are still in the hand. Here you have to act before him, and everyone else has folded. Folding would be a good option. Also, can he have a hand that easily dominates mine? AQ, AK? He sure can. Say no to KQ off-suit.

That said I would have bet this flop, if he just calls I assume I have him beat and make a 1/2 - 3/4 pot bet on turn. If he still just calls I'm not so sure, I might bet the river, I might check.

As usual I must say I'm not a very good player, but I like to participate in meaningful discussions.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:24 AM

He was not in the blinds, he's limping from UTG.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:37 AM

Oops.

Then I fold this preflop.