Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2004, 01:09 PM

Default 200 Live MTT

We've just sat down at the final table of a 200 buy-in live MTT. I have an average stack of 9500 and the blinds are 500-1000. We have only been through two orbits and I have yet to see the villan/chip leader show anything down. He has shown a fair amount of aggression in LP but doesn't seem extremely aggro. I look at my first card and see a Jh, I pray that I don't find another one, and I find the Jc. Damn. I raise to 3000 UTG hoping to steal the blinds, and the plan is going well, until I ran into the villan who re-raises to 6000 on the button. The villan has seen me raise a couple times in the last orbit from MP and LP taking advantage of the very tight table. Because of my aggressive image I think he might do this with a wider range of holdings than premiums but I still give him credit for overs. I choose not to commit all of my chips until I see a flop. The flop comes Th 8c 3d he pushes and I call. Comments on all streets appreciated.
Old 12-05-2004, 01:58 PM

Default Re: 200 Live MTT

Since you didn't give stack sizes and reads on the blinds I can't really give feedback on whether or not a steal was appropriate. I know that JJ is a tough hand but it's still a premium holding and one that I'd love to see at a final table.

Before you put anything in the pot you need to decide how you are going to play this hand. If you're going for a steal, well, it doesn't matter if you have JJ or 72. You are going to fold to a re-raise. You can limp hoping to flop a set. Or you can raise with the intention of playing the hand strongly. For the last option, what do yo do if you get re-raised. Probably call. So if you're are going to play the hand strongly you need to be pushing yourself since you're getting short stacked anyway. I think playing for a steal only (where you'll fold to a re-raise) is too passive at this point and commits too much of your stack. So I think you either need to call for set value and fold to a pre-flop raise or push pre-flop. I prefer pushing.

When he re-raises you pre-flop, your options are to fold or call. Folding is pretty weak (see above) so I would call with the intent of pushing on a non-scary flop. Re-raising him pre-flop does no good as he has odds to call even on a bluff.

This is a classic problem on the flop. You have a "small" overpair. What could he have? AA, KK, QQ, AK, AQ, maybe 99. I doubt if he has a set or two pair. I think you are ahead of more hands than you are behind and would probably call. It's a big pot and winning it is important.

Another consideration is stack sizes and prize money. If there are a couple of really short stacks and the increase in prize money is worth it, it could make a fold in order. But without that info it's tough to comment.
Old 12-05-2004, 03:08 PM

Default Re: 200 Live MTT

No matter what cards come down on the flop, there's no way you can fold for your last 3500 chips. You'll be getting nearly 5-to-1 odds on your flop call.

Since your stack of T9500 puts you in the critical < 10x BB range, the only time you should raise anything less than all-in is with the intention of calling no matter what preflop action ensues (for instance, I might raise 3x with AA in your position to induce further action).

With JJ in this spot, I would probably just push preflop.
Old 12-05-2004, 10:56 PM

Default Results

There were a couple short stacks but the tourney only paid top four so I felt I needed to double up for a shot at all the dough. The chip leader had in the range of 25k to 30k. If the flop came scary and he pushed I was going to let go and take a short shot at them, but when it came ten high I couldn't get away. He showed me AA and took it down. I was just wondering if there was any way I could have or should have gotten away from this hand.
Old 12-05-2004, 10:59 PM

Default Re: Results

[ QUOTE ]
There were a couple short stacks but the tourney only paid top four so I felt I needed to double up for a shot at all the dough. The chip leader had in the range of 25k to 30k. If the flop came scary and he pushed I was going to let go and take a short shot at them, but when it came ten high I couldn't get away. He showed me AA and took it down. I was just wondering if there was any way I could have or should have gotten away from this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Easy push / call then