Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2004, 08:22 PM

Default Using Poki for SH/HU training

Does anyone have any experience using Poki as a trainer for HU/SH games? How does it do when simulating the tendencies of those games vs. the tendencies of larger, multiway games?

I'm interested in actually trying the software out, but the 20-hand limitation makes it impossible to actually try it out and get an idea for whether or not it's worth $100.

I play $1/2 shorthanded right now occasionally and do pretty well overall, but would like to work on my ability in these situations.

Rob
Old 11-24-2004, 08:26 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Re: Using Poki for SH/HU training

couple of comments:

- I've used TTH for headsup play. the computer doesn't adjust, which is the most important part of playing in shorthanded games.
- I think you're better off going from 3/6 to 5/10 6-max rather than playing 1/2 6-max for a while. 1/2 6-max is an entirely different game from 5/10, and it'll take you a while to work up to it.
Old 11-24-2004, 08:32 PM

Entity,

I was about to post this very same query but you beat me to it. I have heard complaints about the price tag for Poki but if it could help my SH and/or HU game even a little bit it would be well worth it.

I hope you get some responses from people who have actually purchased the program. In the next week or so I may buy the program and if I do, then I will of course post a review here.
Old 11-24-2004, 08:38 PM

Entity:

Check your PM. I think I can help you.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 11-27-2004, 03:12 PM

Bump -- interested in any others who have used it for HU/SH training, as I'm mostly interested in that aspect. My bankroll can handle 2/4 and 3/6 (I'm only playing 2/4 right now though), but I'd really like to work on the scenarios that posters like Nate have alluded to in the past, talking about "tricky postflop situations." I know my preflop game is pretty good now, and my postflop game is probably fine for largish multiway pots, but I'd really like to work out my shorthanded game. I've heard bots can be good at this...

sthief,

I've heard that Poki does indeed adjust based on your style of play, which makes it excellent for these types of situations. I'd like to run hundreds of hands with hands like QJo, KJo, QJs, KQo, etc. in the blinds against a CO or MP3-open raise. That sort of thing.

Rob
Old 11-27-2004, 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've heard that Poki does indeed adjust based on your style of play, which makes it excellent for these types of situations. I'd like to run hundreds of hands with hands like QJo, KJo, QJs, KQo, etc. in the blinds against a CO or MP3-open raise. That sort of thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Entity:

Poki will let you lock your pocket cards, and also lock your position, but you cannot chose your opponent's cards - hence it will not drill down to the level of simulation you require. However if you play the same cards hundreds of times over and over again, or same position repeatedly, you will see the immense value it provides as a trainer.

Old 11-29-2004, 05:59 PM

We're expanding the simulation features, so in the future it will have the ability to lock the opponents hands. The bots do adjust to your play and other players style, so this is very important and a very strong feature.
Old 11-29-2004, 06:12 PM

Klange:

In that case Poki will become the ultimate in simulators. I look forward to that day.

On a related note, I have found Poki's advice to be flawed at times, other times absolutly perfect. Are there any adjustments I am missing? Poki has advised me to continue at times when the pot odds clearly show that I should not continue. I am mostly basing this upon the advise given within SSHE and generally advocated here at the 2+2 forums.

Old 11-30-2004, 01:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Poki will let you lock your pocket cards, and also lock your position, but you cannot chose your opponent's cards

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, you can set the opponent cards as well using the 'Dealer Options' window. You probably didn't notice, but there is a pop-up menu there to select the seat you wish to customize.

Cheers,
Aaron
Old 11-30-2004, 09:18 PM

You are right Arron, I didn't know that was there. Its rather well hidden, the developers should make this an easier to use feature.