Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2004, 07:46 PM

Default very basic, general question

This question might be too broad to even answer, but I'll take a stab at it. I have read a few books, I understand most of concepts. I don't have them down pat yet which hands to plan and when, etc., but have a good idea of them. Enough so that I can practice on micros while I allow for time doing more reading and committing things to memory at leasure.
My biggest problem now is trying to understand the concepts of playing the hands and the postions of said hands in the context of playing against loose players, tight players etc. Until I really assimilate all I need to know, is there some general suggestion you guys can help with? I think my biggest problem is reading bluffs and I know that will come in time too.
Or is it a matter of for now just playing according to what most books say to play and when they say to play 'em? I got the feeling from most books that you have to incorporate theory into real play and every hand is really played differently.
I also know that if this question could really be answered, whoever could answer it would have all the money and would be an idiot to give out the key.
I hope you get what I am asking. Thanks again.
Old 11-16-2004, 08:15 PM

Default Re: very basic, general question

I didn't mean to say "idiot",don't think I will get many replies from that. Was trying to be funny. Another thing I think I am having trouble with is reading players who have almost nothing and I read them wrong - which is akin to them bluffing, but also inlcudes bad players who aren't bluffing, but a good player with their hand would be bluffing.
Another way I can ask question is - should I just be sticking with basics now? Am I getting too far ahead of myself?
Old 11-17-2004, 01:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
while I allow for time doing more reading and committing things to memory at leasure.
My biggest problem now is trying to understand the concepts

[/ QUOTE ]

There's your problem right there. As you read, you're simply trying to memorize instead of comprehend. Know WHY you do something not just what a table/chart says
Old 11-17-2004, 01:40 AM

Hey RJT,

I suspect you are overthinking the game if you are concerned with bluffs at this point. Bluffing is almost non-existent at the micro-level. The terrible hands you are seeing are maniacs and loose-passive players who didn't give up on a failed draw.

As for bluffing yourself, don't bother at this level. You are sure to get called down almost every time, and are then at the mercy of those poor hands the players are seeing to the river.

Good advice I've read on this site is to pick an aspect of your game and work on it each time you sit down to play. Start with pre-flop - play the starting hands based on whatever system you've chosen to follow. Once you feel comfortable, reread the chapters on flop play and add that to your game. Add pieces at a time. Trying to start with a complete game is overwhelming.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:04 AM

Thanks Reef and Scotty - Reef, I mispoke. I am trying to understand the whys - that is how I always try to learn new things - memorizing was wrong wording. Scotty thanks, thats more what I was asking. Thanks again to both of you for taking the time to answer.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:36 AM

When first beginning, have fun. But take away lessons from every session. If you are playing on Party or one of its skins, then review the hand history for hands that go to the river and called. Many times, the losing hand will not be shown, but within the hand history it will be. Review some of the hands that were played that lost, and realize some of the hands that lose and ask yourself if these hands are hands that you yourself would have played.

As one of the previous posters mentioned, do not worry about bluffing in the micro-limits. They don't often work. In fact, most times bluffing does not work in any of the limit games.

Good luck.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As one of the previous posters mentioned, do not worry about bluffing in the micro-limits. They don't often work. In fact, most times bluffing does not work in any of the limit games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm, do you play limit poker? If you never bluff you're leaving money on the table.

Regards,

T
Old 11-21-2004, 11:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In fact, most times bluffing does not work in any of the limit games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm, do you play limit poker? If you never bluff you're leaving money on the table.

Regards,

T

[/ QUOTE ]

I do take my shots, and do often take down hands when being aggressive Preflop and continuing to be aggressive through the turn, but I was referrring more to a straight out bluff on the river or turn when there was no action on any of the previous rounds.
Old 11-22-2004, 02:40 PM

First get your preflop game down tight. Learn what position does to various holdings. Learn how to recognize opponent types and how to respond to the differences. Next, work on your postflop game. If it's worth a call, bet that sucker to see if you get raised. Figure out when you should checkraise TPTK and when you should lead with it. Once you've got this down your turn and river plays almost become mechanical most of the time.

I believe that at micro limits your preflop decision making is quite a bit more important than postflop play. This seems to change slightly at 2/4 and 3/6 where I am currently playing.
Old 11-22-2004, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In fact, most times bluffing does not work in any of the limit games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Regards,

T

[/ QUOTE ]

I do take my shots, and do often take down hands when being aggressive Preflop and continuing to be aggressive through the turn, but I was referrring more to a straight out bluff on the river or turn when there was no action on any of the previous rounds.

[/ QUOTE ]

In cases such as this the pot is usually to small to bother with. However, after a lot of passive play, if a scare card comes on the river, you need to bet at it sometimes.

Regards,

T