Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2004, 02:39 PM

Default Pokerstars .05/.10- Advice

My girlfriend is just learning to play. We played live at a local cardroom a couple of times and she is comfortable with the basic rules of the game.

I am getting her a computer for Christmas and also opening an online account for her.

My question is this. I only play at party on the .5/1 tables. I think even with her reading WLLH, that the first couple weeks of playing PP .5/1 would probably be a losing proposition for her.

Are the PS .01/.02 and .05/1 worth playing for a person learning beginning basic strategy, or do they play about the same as play money games?

Any input is appreciated.
Old 11-24-2004, 03:06 PM

Default Re: Pokerstars .05/.10- Advice

Stars dime games are definitely worth playing.

Its the best place to begin learning tight play and get over the 'its only a nickel/dime' syndrome lots of new players have.
Old 11-24-2004, 03:57 PM

By coincidence, my wife is doing the exact same thing right now. I transferred $30 for her to play .05/.1. It seems to be a good place to start. The players are generally ridiculous, but it is not as random as play money tables. Most importantly, the consequence of losing is real since she is not getting another $30 if she loses and doesn't want to fund it herself.

It turns out this is not a problem. Even with her ridiculously loose VPIP and too much calling on the flop, she is crushing the limit for 8BB/100 hands, and has doubled her bankroll. I try to suggest plays now and then, but she ignores me and bets her gutshot draw into a field of five. How can a physics and calculus teacher be so willing to ignore the math?
Old 11-24-2004, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
By coincidence, my wife is doing the exact same thing right now. I transferred $30 for her to play .05/.1. It seems to be a good place to start. The players are generally ridiculous, but it is not as random as play money tables. Most importantly, the consequence of losing is real since she is not getting another $30 if she loses and doesn't want to fund it herself.

It turns out this is not a problem. Even with her ridiculously loose VPIP and too much calling on the flop, she is crushing the limit for 8BB/100 hands, and has doubled her bankroll. I try to suggest plays now and then, but she ignores me and bets her gutshot draw into a field of five. How can a physics and calculus teacher be so willing to ignore the math?

[/ QUOTE ]

It was pretty funny the couple times we played live. I gave her some idea of what to look for in starting hands and some ideas on playing the flop.

She actually did pretty decent. She actually stole a couple decent pots from this nice old man (ROCK to the nth degree). When it was her turn she would look at the dealer and say "can I raise yet." or "How much can I bet."

She is studying now and actually asking some decent questions.

I learned on play money games and then jumped right in to 1/2 on truepoker. It took me a month to really learn how to play for real money. I'd like it to be easier for her.
Old 11-24-2004, 04:09 PM

I've been around the nanolimits. .05/.1 game at PS is a good place to start. It's beatable, and it's certainly better than play money games. The .05/.1 games at Paradise are even softer, and have another step to .1/.2. Then she can go up to .25/.5 if she wants.

I learned to play at the nanolimits. I am now a winner at micro. Nanolimit games are great for learning the game, and honestly, if you can win there you can probably win at .5/1 Party. She should post some hands here -- that was big step toward improving my game.