Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2004, 07:30 PM

Default Seat Changes, Table Changes, and Setups

I was at Hawaiin Gardens the other night, and got into a conversation with a guy about seat changes, when he moved from a seat across the table, next to me. I asked him "Do you really thing a seat change makes a difference?" He proceeded to tell me, with great passion and certainty, that it does. He said "Are you telling me you don't think seats run hot and cold? You've never seen a certain seat get super hot for like an hour or more?" I had to say yes, I had seen that. But I told him that you only knew a seat was hot, in hindsight -- there was no way to predict the future results of a seat based on what it was doing in the past. He didn't buy it, he just kept talking about "streaks."

It got me to thinking. There sure are a lot of players in B&M's that change seats, ask for table changes, and ask for deck changes in order to change their luck. As for myself, I take my seat at the table, and make camp. I might change for certain reasons, but never because my seat is "running bad," nor do I ever ask for setups, or table changes when I'm losing.

My question: Does anyone know of any solid, or even decent players who change seats to change their luck? I personnaly don't know of any such players, but I was curious if anyone else knew of some.

I have to say, and perhaps it's a character flaw in myself, that every time I see someone change seats (or ask for a new setup, or whatever) I think to myself 'Dude, (or honey, as the case may be) the seat you're in is the least of your problems.

Thanks.

Sparks
Old 11-27-2004, 07:38 PM

Default Re: Seat Changes, Table Changes, and Setups

Myself, I change seats frequently and always blame it on lucky streaks, but I'm really moving to get position on certain players and move away from the dealer's bad breath.
Old 11-27-2004, 07:54 PM

I change seats to get away from having players to my left who I would rather have on my right.

I ask for a setup when I find a marked card that worries me.

I change tables if I feel the table is unprofitable.

Mike
Old 11-27-2004, 08:19 PM

These superstitions should be encouraged. If I ever asks a person why they changed seats, it's only so I can strenuously agree with them about hot and cold seats.