Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2004, 01:37 PM

Default Flopping the nut straight and waiting to get it in on the turn, bad?

Greektown 2-2-5

Quiet short stack ($200) limps in for 5, a few other limps, CO ($800) (loose, fairly passive chaldean calls), I ($660) complete on the button with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], blinds come along. The SB gets fidgity when he has a good hand, he keeps going back and forth with chips trying to figure out how much to put in, Chaldean guy will call with any 2, and I mean any 2, he played 42o a few hands ago because "everyone has the big cards, so the small cards will hit the board".

Flop K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (~$30)

SB leads out for $20, CO makes it $60, I debate whether or not to come over the top, but the SB looks like he is ready to pop it/go to the felt with this hand. Not to mention that the CO would go to the felt with any piece of this board, top 2, bottom 2, flush draw etc. I wasn't really worried about the SB, he isn't pushing a flush draw here, and he didn't raise so I know he doesn't have a set, I put him on 2 pair. So I was thinking about waiting for a brick on the turn. Bad logic?

SB re-raises to 120 (basically all in), CO calls, I push, CO folds. good? bad? ugly? routine?
Old 11-21-2004, 03:52 PM

Default Re: Flopping the nut straight and waiting to get it in on the turn, bad?

Let me clarify, I wanted to wait till the turn since I was nervous that CO might be on a flush draw, so if it bricked, I could set him all in. I didn't care about the SB as he only had 200, but I was worried about the CO who had me covered. Bad reasoning?
Old 11-21-2004, 04:08 PM

Default Re: Flopping the nut straight and waiting to get it in on the turn, bad?

[ QUOTE ]
Let me clarify, I wanted to wait till the turn since I was nervous that CO might be on a flush draw, so if it bricked, I could set him all in.

[/ QUOTE ]

you should be more than happy to get a flush draw all in on the flop. the logic here is a bit fuzzy. basically you put one of them on a flush draw, but still decide to flat call?
Old 11-21-2004, 04:10 PM

It seems like you have to push here...let's count the cards that you don't want to see on the turn:
9 clubs
8 J/Q/K that aren't clubs
4 remaining non club T and A that will probably kill the action as well.

hmm...that adds up to 21 cards...practically half the deck. Yeah...push it in now.
Old 11-21-2004, 04:28 PM

I see what your saying, I was thinking more along the lines of CO would call an all in with a flush draw even if the turn bricked, and it'd be a much bigger mistake to do so then, so that's why I was thinking of waiting until the turn. From looking at the SB I kind of thought he was going to reraise. In reality, does it make much more sense for me to reraise the CO's raise to $60, and if so what's a good raise? Make it $120?
Old 11-21-2004, 04:32 PM

Default Re: Flopping the nut straight and waiting to get it in on the turn, ba

I thought he said he read the SB as ready to reraise.

If that was your reason for just calling then the flop play is perfect.

Am I the only one who raises this preflop every time? 4+ limpers and ATs on the button... yum yum.
Old 11-21-2004, 05:48 PM

Seeing the turn is a tournament play.
Cash game, make draws pay.