Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2004, 12:25 PM

Default QQ late in tournament

Pick up QQ with 26 left in a tournament paying 20. Blinds 400-800. UTG raises T9000, which is half his stack. You have T8500. You do what?
Old 11-22-2004, 12:32 PM

Default Re: QQ late in tournament

If you are playing to win I think you push here? If you are playing for the money I would push here too. I'm sure I'm wrong somehow cause I never seem to do anything right. But I dont see how you can just fold or call when the flop can put you behind with more then half your stack gone.

Put your money in while you are ahead unless you have an almost certain AA or KK read on the raiser.
Old 11-22-2004, 12:34 PM

9000? That sounds to me like a hand that doesn't want to be called. Such as A-x or a medium pair. I call and expect to see 99-77 or A-4 suited or some such rubbish.
Old 11-22-2004, 12:39 PM

Solid player. Raised UTG? If he was on the button and made that raise, maybe. You're saying he's basically trying to steal the blinds from first position. I put him on AA, KK or AK. AA or KK would have me as a huge underdog, AK would give roughly 50/50. I don't think he'd make that bet with JJ ot 1010, and if he has QQ it doesn't really gain me anything. However, I pushed. AK. 26th place.
Old 11-22-2004, 12:40 PM

Fold, call or raise?

Fold, uh no.

Call? Only if you could possibly make a laydown on the flop if an Ace or King comes.

Raise all in, most of the time IMO but it looks to me like your hand is too good to fold and a call makes you pot committed so just get in their most of the time.
Old 11-22-2004, 12:43 PM

If I called his preflop bet, I'd be all in already.
Old 11-22-2004, 12:46 PM

Surely, with AA or KK he would make a smaller raise, or even limp UTG to entice someone to raise, then he can go over the top of them. Why waste these great hands and just win the blinds plus antes with them? AK or a medium pair is what I would have expected, even UTG, to be honest.
Old 11-22-2004, 02:17 PM

This is a very easy push. He could easily be making that raise with a small PP, medium PP, AK, etc. If you cannot make a move with QQ, then forget about it.

I had the same situation last night in the Empire 50k. I had 15k and was one of the larger stacks. I raise to 1200, and get reraised to 4k. I autopush, he calls with AK, and its a coin flip. Results dont matter, I'd do the same thing every time. Too many chances they have Ax or a smaller PP to EVER lay that down except in some very special circumstances.

Nick
Old 11-22-2004, 02:27 PM

Agree, you absolutely, positively have to push here, unless it is a satellite where 20th pays the same as 1st.
Old 11-22-2004, 02:28 PM

I push here. You only have a tad over 10.5 BB's left and being so close to the money doubling your stack is exactly what you want.

I doubt a player is going to make a 11x BB raise UTG with AA, KK or even AK. I can be very certin (unless this player happend to be a fish who got this far out of pure luck) you're definitaly ahead to what he holds.

-- Just read a little more of this thread and this player did infact have AK.

Bad bet imo by the UTG. Unlucky for you that you didn't hold up during that coin flip while your money was in with the best of it.

Good luck in the future.