Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2004, 01:41 AM

Default why it is bad too call raises(OR EVEN RERAISE) with KQ

HMM I THOUGHT THIS WOULD BE OBVIOUS TOO ANYONE AT LEAST A MONTH INTO PLAYING APPARENTLY NOT SO LUSHY THIS IS FOR YOU..

1) It makes the 2nd best hand VERY often in a raised pot to AK and AQ...
2) If you are lucky and have two overs (lets say opponent is protecting 10-10) THEY ARE NOT GONNA PAY YOU OFF WHEN A KING/QUEEN HITS.
3)Unlike QJ suited this isnt really much of a drawing hand especially unsuited so yur not gonna make 5 card hands.
4) when yu flop huge say 2 pair yu might get a ton of action but the opponents(that had yu dominated preflop) will always have outs. People with QJ &amp; J10 might get straights and when the flop comes KQ7 well if yu get action yur in huge trouble to a good player with 7-7 here.

OK was that a satisfactory summary of the 4 main reasons KQ unsuited is NOT a hand EVER to call a raise with or reraise with early in a tourney??
Old 11-15-2004, 01:50 AM

Default Re: why it is bad too call raises(OR EVEN RERAISE) with KQ

OK, you posted this right as I was responding to your other post. This is much clearer, and more legible.

That being said...

While KQo can make a lot of second best hands, I think that it's not as concrete as saying never ever ever play that hand when faced with a raise early in a tournament.

- What about when you have a maniac at the table who you have a chance to isolate, and plays poorly post flop?
- What about a rebuy tournament, where your cold call of a raise might result in 5 or 6 seeing the flop giving you good implied odds if you hit your hand?
- What about when the raise is an all-in from a player who just lost a large pot, and might be tilting their last chips with essentially a random hand that you might be a 2-1 favorite over?

Yes, KQ can be in trouble when you flop a KQ7 board and a good player has a 7. But that's the case with any hand. You wouldn't throw away QQ to a raise, because the raiser could hit an A or K on the flop, right?

I guess I'm saying that yes, I agree that KQo is a hand to throw away early on in some situations. But I haven't seen the story behind the hand that prompted you to post this, and I think saying that a certain hand is a play/muck yes/no black/white hand is misguided thinking.
Old 11-15-2004, 01:55 AM

I actually was thinking the same thing when i added NEVER. You are correct when defending blinds and playing maniacs the situation may arise where reraising with KQ is correct. I am sorry and IM THE DONKEY ON THIS ONE.
Old 11-15-2004, 02:45 AM

This depends on where the raise is coming from. If I'm holding KQo in the BB, and all fold to the SB who raises me, you bet your a** I'm calling.