Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2004, 02:54 PM

Default Overpair on Paired Board

5/10 NLHE on PS, some dude limps, never seen him before, has about $850 I got him covered, I raise to $40 in MP with black TT, everyone else folds he calls. Flop is 9d 9s 7d, he checks, I bet $60, he raises to $120.

Normally I'd call and see how things develop, but stack sizes, and the flush and straight draw plus the fact that he just minraised me makes me think it's going to be tough to decide after the flop what to do. But, raising to $280 for information is pretty expensive, plus what if he pushes on a flush draw? That would be terrible.

Okay so I call, the turn is a third 9, and he bets $200. Now I don't think I can get away from the hand and start thinking about what the best way is to get his money into the pot, is this wrong? I decide to call, and call/bet/raise any river.
Old 11-13-2004, 03:29 PM

Default Re: Overpair on Paired Board

I hear you give reach arounds for an extra $20? If so, next time can i add that to our session only this time you don't have to wear the rubber mask and i think it's better if we get a new safe word, if i say 'donkey' in sex i'm going to think of donkey punching and then i'll be fearful to let you take me from behind and that will make me limp so we're [censored] then.

Also, if you are offering reach arounds to your services i'm wondering if you've thought of becoming a PLC with your business so i can buy shares in you? The combination of you and reach arounds will almost surely make your shares prices and me rise.
Old 11-13-2004, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Now I don't think I can get away from the hand and start thinking about what the best way is to get his money into the pot, is this wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously?

In my limited online experience, check-min-raise = overpair, set, trips, fullhouse, monster. So that's the range of hands I give him on the flop. On the turn, you improve to a full house, but you really have only improved to beat 77. Whoopie. But he leads out? Is he bluffing? Not likely. It would be suicidal online to try and bluff an over-pair holding player (I would have to imagine that's his read on you, given the play of the hand) on a tripped board. Assuming opponent isn't suidical, he has you beat, and you should fold. God bless him if he just has a 7 or 44.

If you really can't get away (you really can't fold this?!), fine, but see if you save some money by calling down if you really want to see his jacks or aces or whatever. Getting all the money into this pot can't be good. Try and spike a ten on the river. Even then, you may not be good.
Old 11-13-2004, 04:10 PM

Ocho, what do you suggest doing, folding to his minraise on the flop? Or folding on the turn when that 3rd nine comes making it much less likely he has one?
Old 11-13-2004, 04:21 PM

A nine isn't the only hand that has you smoked here. I'd put him on a higher pair than tens rather than the case 9.

Anywho, I'd pass on the turn. That's because I typically cannot fold to a min-raise in situations like the flop in this hand, even if it's pretty clear that I'm beat. I think it's because I have some crazy idea in my head that if I do, opponents will min-check-raise at will to move me off hands. But that's my problem. You get a second chance on the turn to fold in this hand, I'd suggest taking it.
Old 11-13-2004, 06:09 PM

I don't play at these limits but is it common for guys at these limits to limp call with AA-JJ ?
Old 11-14-2004, 11:14 AM

No, it's very rare.
Old 11-14-2004, 02:51 PM

He could easily have 88 or A7. I doubt he limp called with AA KK QQ, but JJ is a possibility. Still, I don't see you getting away from this. I think your rationale is sound.
Old 11-14-2004, 05:18 PM

Hey Bruiser,

My thoughts:

1) Folding the flop is fine.

2) If you decide that your hand is good often enough to play for your stack here, your line is fine (particularly when the nine comes).

3) I probably wouldn't want to play for my stack here, but it's a judgment call.

4) I wouldn't be surprised if my opponent had JJ here. Not saying that it's his most likely hand, but definitely likely enough to be given consideration.

Hope it worked out.

ML4L
Old 11-14-2004, 06:05 PM

Well said Ml4l. I was probably going to fold to any turn action but when that nine came I just didn't have a fold in me at the time.